1966 ES-335: will it continue to rise in value?

tommy_is_here

• Members

So, I'm having a debate with a friend right now. He's interested in buying a red 1966 ES-335, which is in excellent condition, selling for about $3500. That makes this guitar 42 years old, and it doesn't look like a 42 year old guitar. Frets are in good shape, neck looks good, all original parts, etc.

The guitar is a real player, sounds very musical, and does indeed beat the pants tonally off of recent Gibson custom shop semi hollowbodies, which also sell for about the same amount. (we compared them side by side in a shoot off)

We were arguing over long term value. He believes that this guitar in just a couple more years may be worth 2x as much as it is now.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tommy

• Members

Why is that? B/c a cherry ES-335 from the 60's has such mythic status?

How long do you think it would take for it to double in value?

Also, just how rare are 60's 335s that are in good shape?

Cheers,

Tommy

Sure, it's due in part to the "mythic status", but it's also a function of how few of them are available.

It's impossible to know how long it would take to double in value. If the economy continues on its present course, it's possible that vintage guitar values could become stagnant so it might take quite a while.

Remember, the "value" of a guitar is only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Even if every appraiser you go to in a few years tells you it's worth $10k, if you can't find a buyer at that price it's not "worth" that much.

And as Roy Brooks said, $3500 for a 1966 ES-335 in great shape that is completely original is suspiciously below market value. Are you sure there hasn't been a neck repair or anything like that? If I came across a '66 335 in that shape that was all original and marked at $3500, I would sell whatever I needed to in order to buy it. Seriously.

• Members

Sure, it's due in part to the "mythic status", but it's also a function of how few of them are available.

It's impossible to know how long it would take to double in value. If the economy continues on its present course, it's possible that vintage guitar values could become stagnant so it might take quite a while.

Remember, the "value" of a guitar is only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Even if every appraiser you go to in a few years tells you it's worth $10k, if you can't find a buyer at that price it's not "worth" that much.

And as Roy Brooks said, $3500 for a 1966 ES-335 in great shape that is completely original is suspiciously below market value. Are you sure there hasn't been a neck repair or anything like that? If I came across a '66 335 in that shape that was all original and marked at $3500, I would sell whatever I needed to in order to buy it. Seriously.

Good point; I'll have my buddy check into that.

I'm no vintage guy, so really can't say.

• Members

Any suggestions on how to check it out? I'm no expert, and my friend is less of an expert, so its like 'dumb and dumber' :D

The guy who's selling it has no info. on the history of the guitar. He is willing to sell it and offer a refund if we don't want to keep it after a few days.

There was one things which seemed a little strange - its a bolt on guitar right? Well the cherry stain was really different on the back of the neck compared to on the main body. I chalked it up initially to be different wood, but I wonder if its possible that the neck was replaced at some point.

Perhaps I just take it to a trusted local guitar tech who'd probably have a better idea?

• Members

Any suggestions on how to check it out? I'm no expert, and my friend is less of an expert, so its like 'dumb and dumber'
:D

The guy who's selling it has no info. on the history of the guitar. He is willing to sell it and offer a refund if we don't want to keep it after a few days.

There was one things which seemed a little strange - its a bolt on guitar right? Well the cherry stain was really different on the back of the neck compared to on the main body. I chalked it up initially to be different wood, but I wonder if its possible that the neck was replaced at some point.

Perhaps I just take it to a trusted local guitar tech who'd probably have a better idea?

It should be a set neck not a bolt on.

• Members

I suppose it does come down to supply and demand. The supply side is definitely constrained, and will only get more so, so in the long run, it should raise value.

However, headstash makes a good point about demand - the economy may strongly curb demand, and thus drop prices in the next few years.

• Members

So, I'm having a debate with a friend right now. He's interested in buying a red 1966 ES-335, which is in excellent condition, selling for about $3500. That makes this guitar 42 years old, and it doesn't look like a 42 year old guitar. Frets are in good shape, neck looks good, all original parts, etc.

The guitar is a real player, sounds very musical, and does indeed beat the pants tonally off of recent Gibson custom shop semi hollowbodies, which also sell for about the same amount. (we compared them side by side in a shoot off)

We were arguing over long term value. He believes that this guitar in just a couple more years may be worth 2x as much as it is now.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tommy

No, I think that's crazy BUT!!!! it will continue to grow in value. Guitars of the 60s have a mystic aura that will only continue to grow. The only question will be the rate of growth in value. Collectibles are a commodity, but I think they tend to appreciate more so in times of inflation and prosperity more so than in times of recession.

• Members

The first question that comes to mind is how do you guys know what you are looking at ? Gibson serial numbers from the 60s and 70s are not always reliable for dating and were often reused. So construction details and research into differences over time is important. Consult sources like the Duchossoir ID books and the provide.net vintage guitar site.

The air is pretty much escaping from the value of vintage or old/used guitars currently which saw a bubble of there own over the past few years. If the guitar is what it is claimed to be it probably is a pretty good deal and will at least hold its value. However vintage guitars are not liquid assets- perhaps one reason for the "bargain" price is the owner hasn't found a buyer. Look for vintage guitars to be coming out of the woodwork if the recession is as severe as some predict. If it turns into another great depression, look out.

Archived