Obscure Yamaha Model - info sought

billy budapest

• Members

I don't know that exact model but I know that series and that era of Yamaha.

What do you want to know? It's good for a super cheap guitar (i.e. under 100.00 USD). And it is actually not a bad guitar in general although the neck profile may not suit everyone.

Additionally, many of those guitars had proprietary whammy bars, so parts on those will be difficult to replace.

All Yamahas, and that era especially, gets a bad rap, but if a guitar was only out for a short while and uses proprietary parts, you may have issues at some point that can't be resolved.

LouLoomis

• Members

well, you may not like what i said, but your picture proved it.

This guitar is not worth much attention.

You can get a G&L tribute Legacy HB for like 300 bucks used. That guitar will smoke this Yamaha anyday.

LouLoomis

Not true. At all. Yamaha's are actually very good guitars for the money, capable of selling for much more than they actually do. The problem, is nobody wants a guitar made by a motor company. The Pacifica 112, the $160 Yamahas, are capable of running with the middle of the road Epi G-400's and the MIM's.

• Members

You can get a G&L tribute Legacy HB for like 300 bucks used. That guitar will smoke this Yamaha anyday.

LouLoomis

I have to agree with Bored here.

Yamaha's in general have a well deserved reputation for being as good as - if not better - than every other guitar in their respective price brackets, in many cases - once you actually pick them up to play.

Just because this particular model isn't that well known doesn't mean it isn't going to be any good.

Yammy's in general offer more bang for the money than many guitar manufacturers. It's easy to dismiss them but once you look a bit more closely at them you tend to find that they smoke their rivals in terms of build quality and overall playability.

Don't be deceived by the low used price.

• Members

LouLoomis

Lou - quite the contrary! Yours is exactly the sort of input I am looking for but, just as I suspected, there also seems to be some support from the other side of the aisle as well.

The guitar is available for $100. I tried in vain to figure out for myself if it was a bonanza or fool's gold but came up completely empty-handed. I own a modern day Yammy and couldn't be happier with it which peaked my interest in an older (possibly unappreciated) one.

• Members

You stumbled upon the Prototype of a Yamaha Stratocaster. It is worth several million dollars. Really though, the model number and other factors are irrelevant. If you like the way it plays, looks and feels, and feel it was right for the money, whats holding you back? :thu:

Yamaha themselves tend to be helpful in this sort of matter, try calling them up during business hours tomorrow and seeing what they come up with.

• Members

so you got your date from the guitar archive?

this is what I found, not sure what other info you`re looking for but...

Year(s) Sold: 1988-89

Original MSRP(US$): $449.00

Neck: Satin Finish Maple

Fingerboard: Maple

Color(s): Red, Black, White, Gunmetal Blue

String Length: 648mm

Nut Width: 41mm

Electronics: 5P Pickup Switch, Vol, Tone, Coil Split

• Members

IIRC, the above is correct. They didn't do certian SE models very long before they changed the headstock and started calling them RGZs and RGXs.

Yamahas are a conundrum. Fantastic guitars with terrible resale value. Yamahas from the 80's & 90s are especially high quality instruments...particularly when you start getting above the 300 series into the 600s and beyond. Look up the RGX 1212 for an idea...

IMHO, they are getter guitars than their main competition at the time...Ibanez (and that's no knock on Ibanez). Yet, Ibanez is what commands the $$$ these days. Go figure.

• Members

The real winners are the people who actually buy used Yammy's - and use them. A great example of this is the Pacifica series. The price of some used 812's I've seen, makes my GAS jump a notch every time.

Of course the reverse is also true. If you sell it on, you aren't going to make a lot of cash on it.

Archived