Which $400ish guitar?

twotimingpete

• Members

I'm in a bind and need an affordable axe. I am a sorta experienced player (10 years garage/bedroom playing, a few gigs back in the past and maybe again in the future) who has never really recovered from having most of his gear stolen a few years ago... including a hamer usa mirage 2, which was an amazing guitar and was my main and pretty much my only axe for years.

anyway, can't afford another hamer usa NOW, so the search is on to find something that'll do me well in the $400ish range for a while.

Here are a few things I've scouted out, and was interested in getting any feedback on how they might compare in terms of quality. obviously it's a good idea to just try things, but I'm also interested in opening up a dialogue -- because that's what forums are for. :)

1) Fender Mexistrat. This is one of the more obvious options. I'm leaning more towards a humbucker solution, though.. but who knows?

2) Epiphone Firebird Studio. This is high on my list right now, mainly because of some of the rave reviews I've seen and the locking tuners intrigue me (hard to find any budget guitars with stock locking tuners). My store has some firebirds, but not this particular one. I demoed a "real" gibson firebird and rather liked it.

3) ESP LT EC 256. I've heard some good things about ESP but haven't seen them (at least, not any of the budget les paul copies) at my local store. is this solid?

4) Schecter Tempest. This is a bit higher in price, but it looks pretty cool, grover tuners is a plus and coil tap switch stock is a nice little frill. Body shape is also cool looking.

I'd also like to ask real quick about opinions on the "budget" versions of hamer and paul reed smith guitars. I know the "real" versions of these brands are excellent (my Hamer mirage 2, like I said, was my soulmate) but I don't know anything about the cheap versions. I'm guessing they're made overseas. How do they compare to other choices in the price range?

MF has lots of user reviews, but I have a hard time taking any of them seriously because everyone seems to want to rant about their purchase while in the honeymoon period, or simply because it's their purchase. almost every guitar there has a 4.5 star average rating. :)

p.s., obviously, I'm also interested in any other suggestions in this price range.

• Members

You should buy a MIM strat, specifically, you should buy my MIM.. After the Live.com 30% discount, it only $260 which leaves you plenty of money for a new pickguard and a humbucker.. =)

Strat-H.jpg

but, even if you don't buy mine, I'd still suggest a MIM.. They're great guitars..

• Members

true about the pickups, but I'm sorta into a set neck and mahagony... again, maybe a MIM, but, to be honest, I find strats a bit boring in terms of style and statement -- that's the bottom line. highly functional and highly accepted, but a bit.. boring. :)

and is that cashback thing going on again? I remember doing it a while ago, but I thought it was over.

• Members

true about the pickups, but I'm sorta into a set neck and mahagony... again, maybe a MIM, but, to be honest, I find strats a bit boring in terms of style and statement -- that's the bottom line. highly functional and highly accepted, but a bit.. boring.
:)

and is that cashback thing going on again? I remember doing it a while ago, but I thought it was over.

i agree, to a point. but at $400, you're looking for function not form. get the best guitar for the money. the flashy looking ones make you pay for cosmetics, not quality.

• Members

"Michael Kelly patriot w/one of the many discounts out there can be had for about $400. Set neck, mahaongy, maple cap, ebony, and they play great."

Best bang -for-the-buck out there. Look great,sound great,play great,and hold up very very well to extensive hard use and abuse.Lots of variety in the models for looks,and tones for a lot of different styles of playing too.

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/patriot_custom.html

Love mine,and plan on grabbing up as many as I can/when I can.

• Members

Well, I can't comment on any of the specific models you're asking about. However, I can answer your question regarding the PRS SE line. They are great guitars which retain the PRS feel and the general vibe of the look without the high price tag. They are not pound for pound equal to the USA series, but very good guitars none the less. Some aren't big fans of the pickups as they're snappier than your standard humbucker.

You can read the full FrugalGuitarist.com review of the SE Singlecut with a bunch of clips here.

• Members

woh. I just discovered michael kelly on the web and was looking into it and reading a lot of extremely positive things minutes BEFORE you guys posted mentioning them... and this is a brand I had NEVER heard of. I might take this as a sign.

and is the paypal cashback thing back? I know I could probably try to find out myself, but I like to have things told to me.

• Members

Well, I can't comment on any of the specific models you're asking about. However, I can answer your question regarding the PRS SE line. They are great guitars which retain the PRS feel and the general vibe of the look without the high price tag. They are not pound for pound equal to the USA series, but very good guitars none the less. Some aren't big fans of the pickups as they're snappier than your standard humbucker.

You can read the full FrugalGuitarist.com review of the SE Singlecut with a bunch of clips

Maybe I am just weird but I never liked the SEs. I like the "real" PRS guitars (God those are nice) but the SEs in the local shops always looked and felt really cheap. Compared to other brands, I just felt they didn't stack up. Which is not to say they are bad... but fit/finish/feel they weren't high on my list.

• Members

"woh. I just discovered michael kelly on the web and was looking into it and reading a lot of extremely positive things minutes BEFORE you guys posted mentioning them... and this is a brand I had NEVER heard of. I might take this as a sign.

and is the paypal cashback thing back? I know I could probably try to find out myself, but I like to have things told to me."

No idea on the paypal-never use it myself.

On the MK though-hard to go wrong. They are just one of those lesser-known brands because they get squeezed out by so many others in most of the big stores/retail outlets,etc. But the benefit of that -to you and me-is the prices you can have a really decent guitar for. I hope they stay right where they are,and nice and obscure-because the moment you start seeing 4040540560544700750 of them on the wall at Guitar Center,you'll know they have had to pay a fortune to get them out there-and the price will be paid by you and me.I also like the idea that not every other bonehead on the block has one.But then,I never was into trends anwway,Ive always sought out the obscure.

• Members

woh. I just discovered michael kelly on the web and was looking into it and reading a lot of extremely positive things minutes BEFORE you guys posted mentioning them... and this is a brand I had NEVER heard of. I might take this as a sign.

and is the paypal cashback thing back? I know I could probably try to find out myself, but I like to have things told to me.

I have to agree, these are some of the best in the

• Members

"I have to agree, these are some of the best in the

Nor I,Ive played dozens of them in various shops at various times,and from various batches and never an issue with a single one.I can think of a few brands going for about 4-5 times as much $$ that I cant say that about.

Need a good indicator of this? After u handle the neck on one-pop open the control cavity and have a look at the attention to detail in there.Dont take my word for it-try it.

• Members

Maybe I am just weird but I never liked the SEs. I like the "real" PRS guitars (God those are nice) but the SEs in the local shops always looked and felt really cheap. Compared to other brands, I just felt they didn't stack up. Which is not to say they are bad... but fit/finish/feel they weren't high on my list.

Felt cheap? Wow! I may not have the highest standards in the world and granted they're not finished quite as nicely as the US line, but they feel far from cheap in my opinion and competitive to every nice guitar I've played in that price range.

• Members

1. Go to Live.com

2. type in "michael kelly guitar" or "fender" or whatever.

3. look for the first link that reads "25% off" or "30% off"

4. click that link ;)

This will take you to ebay where you will need to find items that you can:

1. "Buy it Now" and

2. Pay with Paypal.

Once you click the "buy it now" you will see how much you will save in the cash back reward box below your item.

If you click "confirm" then it is yours, but not until then. So you can hunt around a bit to see what your savings will be by clicking "buy it now" on other items for sale ($200 max).

You will get a cash back notification 60 days after your purchase. 60 because you might return something..

Not the definitive explanation, but this should give you the gist of it.

I have used it several time without issue.

It would be a good way to go if you find a trust worthy dealer.

• Members

My Patriot Vintage (from Sam Ash for $339, however, using the Live.com discount right now you could get one shipped off eBay for $273) has absolutely eliminated any gas* I have for any other dual humbucker guitar. Note that the MK site says Jumbo frets on the Patriot Vintage - that is incorrect, they are medium jumbo.

Durable? Yes. Walked straight into a door knob the other day while carrying it. Expected to see a spider crack or even a chunk from the finish. If not that, maybe a dent. Nope. Nothing. Sounds good, plays great, looks incredible.

The only negative I have is the upper "horn" is big. BIG BIG BIG. No one is going to mistake it for a Les Paul. Make sure you're ok with that before you get one...

• Members

that's interesting. a major step forwards in 5 years? what do you attribute this to? seems to me guitars haven't actually changed drastically in decades.

guitars themselves haven't changed, but computer-controlled manufacturing HAS changed the process immeasurably. And the name manufacturers are using better parts. Nowadays you get Squier Strats that have alnico pickups and full shielding inside, perfectly dressed frets, set-ups, etc... seriously, things have gotten very good. I would buy that Epiphone Firebird you mentioned without hesitation. (I've got 3 Epiphones right here with me)

• Members

Just get a Kelly and be happy like the rest of us :D

Ask yourself (or the forum) when was the last time you saw a used Patriot for sale?

Now when's the last time you saw 2?

Also you really have to play one to appreciate it. The neck joint is great!

I had an Ibby person tell me it was like a wizard2 FWIW.

Archived