For some reason I hate those Gibson LP Studios....

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, I have not played one yet that felt good. Neck shape, fret edges. Blah! Plus the price on them locally is around $1,100.00, for another $300.00 to $400.00 we can buy a classic 1960. Much nicer and a safer investment to say the least..... If I had no choice based on price I would buy an Epi Elitist or and Edwards LP copy. Much better guitar for the same or less money than the Studio. The Edwards has SD pickups as standard and the wood they use is really sweet. Tough to beat the deal. I'm pretty sure they are both made in the Fujigen Gakki Plant... Fernandez would be my third choice, also made at the FG factory.
On another note: I have realized I don't like the 24 3/4 sacle fretboard. I like a 25 to 25.5 best. I have a Carvin CS3 on order and due to ship to me before Chrisrmas. My cost with the options I chose if $1,430.00 shipped.
I opted for the non maple top. I really don't think it makes much of a sound difference and I really like the Mahogany solid body with a Balck burst paint job which mine will be. It will also have Carvins new S series nickled cover pickups. From what I read and was told they are supposed to be very Les paul sounding... Can't wait to get it. Fortunately I have it just about paid in full. $240.00 more and she's all mine. So having said all this, In my opinion The new CS3 ,4 or 6 is a better buy than most of the USA gibson LP's these days. Especially if you like the 25 scale like PRS offers. Fits my hand/fingers like a glove. Good luck and be patient findingg you LP or similar. And Yes, again. I do not care for a Gibson LP Studio at all.

• Members
Yeah ... Studios really suck.

The suckiness is clearly evident in this pic.....
;)

93studioR1.jpg

Now, that's a cool looking guitar!

As far as no binding, My GM sig LP has no binding also but I miss it mostly on the neck. When it was new, it was roughly the same price as a regular production Standard and Gibson claimed that the lack of binding was to make it more affordable :freak: It sure was expensive enough.

Would be interesting to know what the small differences are between the GM and the Studio Plus other than the pearl headstock logo.

LPflame.jpg

LPGMsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i love my LP studios, 2001 Gothic and '96 studio. the gothic plays awesome ,the ebony neck on it is sweet as hell. i had a '87 standard that i got rid of cuz i just didn't play it anymore after getting the gothic! i got the '96 studio recently on a trade for a model 7 charvel tele i had. :deadhorse:

• Members

Speaking purely aesthetically, I much prefer the Studios over the higher end LPs, especially the solid colour Studio models. Unfortunately here in the UK they're still a silly price for what you get, so I'm unlikely ever to own one. Still, if I was looking to drop that kind of cash on a guitar, I'd be looking at a Studio well before I'd consider a Standard.

Maybe I'm just too much a Fender player, but while I would happily play a neck with binding, no matter how well finished and expensive they always feel somewhat cheap to me as against a well finished, unbound neck. YMMV.

• Members

Just got a 2005 LP Studio in Honeyburst for $700 at a guitar show. Barely played condition. It's an excellent guitar all around. Of all the finishes, I do prefer the Honeyburst, so I was lucky to find this one.

I've played some real dogs in the Studio line, you really have to fish through a bunch of them, but when you find a good one, these are real bargains, especially on the used market.

The neck is a nice chunky '59 profile, the frets and finish are perfect, and it sounds great. I'm still kind of amazed that I got this much guitar for $700.

• Members

My friend has a Gibson LP studio that rules so hard. I think they're great. Don't like any Gibson "specials" though. My other buddy has an SG special, my Epiphone plays circles around it. He knows it too. I think his SG could just use a setup, but he wouldn't let me, which is odd cause I set up all my guitars, and they all play to their full potential. I mean i don't level frets or anything, but i can get the action / intonation / truss rod / etc just right

• Members

You want resonant binding? How about this:

lp-studio.jpg

Yeah, it's my implimentation of the PRS idea of masking/sanding the stain off of the edge of the maple cap (it was part of a complete refin I did).

BUT! The plastic hardware has to be CREAM - black hardware gives you zits...

Archived