For some reason I hate those Gibson LP Studios....

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I have a few and though my Standard is a nice LP. My Studio is the Les-Paul I play? Just is a KILLER sounding/playing Les-Paul.

And when I bought my Standard I played EVERY single LP that I thought looked dent at GC that day, including the RIs. The Standard I bought I felt sounded the best.

Fast foward to Studio? Its just dead right. Easy change on them is to sell the 490 neck pick-up and replace it with a BB-Pro. That alone will have the Studio sounding better then the Standard.

What I don't understand? Why doesn't GIBSON leave the Maple Top with a NATURAL BINDING? Like PRS has been doing for YEARS? {censored} is it so hard about that? A piece of Masking Tape when the guitar is sprayed?

Don't sell em short cause of the binding though. You'll miss some KILLER Les-Pauls.

The Mahogany Top VMs have A VERY GOOD TONE also.

FH000012_edited.jpg

feb11_01.jpg

BLACK/GOLD Studio with BB-Pro's/498 is a KILLER sounding/playing LP!

When you cxome right down to it............Standard look like {censored} compared to CUSTOMs IMO? But its the Tone/Feel factor that counts!

jspn_100_2299-2-1.jpg

Good Advice............Don't sleep on the AGILE 3100's either. I picked up one that easily competes with my Gibsons as far as playability. The Orig. pups are so-so. But I have a BB-Pro sitting here and a 498 on the way. But I like the Ebonay board, 1st fret Inlay, and Multi Bound Top better than a stock Gibby Standard?

guitarsforsale006.jpg

guitarsforsale002.jpg

• Members

I've owned Studios and many other LP's. To me, the Studio does not have the same tone as the Standard or Custom. It is thinner and has different pups. It feels different to me as well.

I'm sure there are great Studios just as there are great versions of every guitar built, company aside.

However, when I pick up my Standard, it is the standard by which I judge other LP's. jmho

• Members

Yeah. It's funny ...... I don't really care for the look of Les Paul Studios much at all.

The no binding makes 'em look kinda boring to me.

But the LP Studio I have is BAD ASS!!

Thats what I'm saying Bro. But I hear ya all. I stayed away from them for a LONG time. Till the VMs came out. NOW THATS AN UGLY LP. But they have a NICE warm clear tone thats very addictive.

Then I came across my Black Studio? I'm pretty much sold on em now. And I'll tell you something also. While I DO like Body binding.. I really prefer the neck to NOT have binding. I just like the FEEL better. {censored} the looks.

• Members

I've owned Studios and many other LP's. To me, the Studio does not have the same tone as the Standard or Custom. It is thinner and has different pups.

As far as I know the Studio has the same pups as the Customs (490R/498T).

• Members

I always felt the STANDARD should have Inlays to the first fret. And I always thought the headstock should be single bound also. I like everything about the AGILE 3100. And the pups are really a pretty good copy of the old PAFs. They have the Microfonics just like 50's PAFS. And being Alnico V, they are a little more modern and close to the BB-Pro.

But I can't wait to drop the BB/498 set in. If you ever get a shot to play that rare combo? Give it a go. Both are Alnico V and just sound great together. While the 490 is Alnico II and the 498 is a V. So IMO thats just a ODD set.

guitarsforsale002.jpg

• Members

The binding definitely adds to the resonance. I guess if you don't mind having a less resonating guitar then a Studio is just fine.

A lot of people forget that trapezoid fretboard markers also add to the resonance. The binding focuses that resonance back towards the pickups.

Thomas Edison figured all of this out back in the late 1890s. McCarty simply stole all this information 50 years later and claimed it as his own. Saw it all on the Al Jazeera channel one night.

• Members

Thats what I'm saying Bro. But I hear ya all. I stayed away from them for a LONG time. Till the VMs came out. NOW THATS AN UGLY LP. But they have a NICE warm clear tone thats very addictive.

Then I came across my Black Studio? I'm pretty much sold on em now. And I'll tell you something also. While I DO like Body binding.. I really prefer the neck to NOT have binding. I just like the FEEL better. {censored} the looks.

I like the feel better too, it's more like a Special or a Junior and that's to my taste.

Archived