Is this possible (ilok question)

• Members

First let me premise this question with the statement that if this is possible, I want to know if it can be done LEGALLY. :thu:

Is it possible to share ilok licenses between 2 computers at the same time without purchasing 2 licenses?

I am assuming this violates the EULA in some way correct?

If so then what do big studios do when they have multiple workstations?

• Members

I know it sounds odd, I am pretty sure it's not possible.

With that in mind how about a question that makes more sence and probably can be done:

Is there a switchable USB hub that can swap iloks between 2 computers?

Here is the situation:

Studio where I intern at asked me if there is any way to share iloks between 2 computers since they have 2 main workstations and can be working with 2 clients at once. I said "probably not since it probably violates the EULA but I will look".

Figureing that I was right (I think I am) they then asked: "what about being able to access them from one point even if you had to flip a switch to get it from one to another.

Hmmm.... Seems more realistic to me.

Now I am sure your wondering "what's the bid deal". Yeah me as well.

Well picture this: Your in a session in one studio and someone else in session with another. The {censored}ty thing is you can't get to the iloks without going though the live room. Sucks don't it.

So they had the idea of rigging up a light that when someone in the room without the iloks could press so someone in the room with the iloks could flip a switch and essentially "move" without moving the iloks over to the other computer.

Make sense?

It was explained to me that getting duplicate iloks with duplicate ilok licenses was out of the question (multiple thousands of dollars worth of plugs).

The downer as well is that the studios are not right next to each other as well and the iloks are not convenient to get at.

• Members

Just move the iLok from one computer to another. That's one of the advantages of iLok.

I understand that advantage. I never knew that there was more than one advantage.

I nearly started a thread earlier in the year that would have been something like "Does anyone who doesn't absolutely have to use iLok use iLok?" I decided that was too trollish, but since I have this thread as cover... ;)

I bought an iLok in April, but I have been stalling about moving my licenses.

• Members

I know it sounds odd, I am pretty sure it's not possible.

With that in mind how about a question that makes more sence and probably can be done:

Is there a switchable USB hub that can swap iloks between 2 computers?

Here is the situation:

Studio where I intern at asked me if there is any way to share iloks between 2 computers since they have 2 main workstations and can be working with 2 clients at once. I said "probably not since it probably violates the EULA but I will look".

Figureing that I was right (I think I am) they then asked: "what about being able to access them from one point even if you had to flip a switch to get it from one to another.

Hmmm.... Seems more realistic to me.

Now I am sure your wondering "what's the bid deal". Yeah me as well.

Well picture this: Your in a session in one studio and someone else in session with another. The {censored}ty thing is you can't get to the iloks without going though the live room. Sucks don't it.

So they had the idea of rigging up a light that when someone in the room without the iloks could press so someone in the room with the iloks could flip a switch and essentially "move" without moving the iloks over to the other computer.

Make sense?

It was explained to me that getting duplicate iloks with duplicate ilok licenses was out of the question (multiple thousands of dollars worth of plugs).

The downer as well is that the studios are not right next to each other as well and the iloks are not convenient to get at.

USB switches do exist, not sure but you may run into length issues.

Make sense?

Well, it seems that studio DO NEED two licenses, anyway. So, recommend them to buy another one.

That will make sense.

• Members

USB switches do exist, not sure but you may run into length issues.

I think the problem would be not knowing when and how often the software is making "calls" to the iLok. I know Syncrosoft constantly checks to make sure it's drivers or dongle is attached, but not sure how often the iLok is queried.

It's more often than just on booting the software I'd think.

• Members

I think the problem would be not knowing when and how often the software is making "calls" to the iLok. I know Syncrosoft constantly checks to make sure it's drivers or dongle is attached, but not sure how often the iLok is queried.

I think (at least that's how I read his/her later post) the OP is giving up on running two seats off the same license and is now just looking for convenience on running the app at two physically remote stations (at different times)

• Members

I understand that advantage. I never knew that there was more than one
advantage

Of course, it's only a comparative advantage in contrast to other "copy protected" software. There's no absolute advantage to the consumer in having any form of copy protection imposed on software, unless you buy into the argument that companies would go out of business otherwise.

However, there are other comparative advantages to using an iLok. For example, if your hard drive dies, you can replace it, reinstall the software, plug in your iLok, and you're good to go.

But for me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages compared to other schemes. If offered an alternative, I would gladly choose it over entrusting the full value of my software in a flimsy piece of plastic that can be easily broken or stolen, not to mention the extra costs of buying a USB hub and an iLok and having it insured. It's hard to believe that software companies give a damn about their paying customers when they treat them like criminals and require them to take such risks and add such expenses.

That said, I own three iLoks because software I had already invested in migrated to iLoks and I wanted to keep my software relatively current. It's tough when this happens after you've already invested your time and money in a product because you're faced with three undesirable choices: 1) go to the extra time and expense of buying and switching to a competing product from scratch, 2) keep using what you have and never upgrade again, or 3) upgrade and use your least favorite form of copy protection.

But back to the original question: if the studio plans to use the same piece of software on two computers at the same time -- rather than alternately -- then it is probably against the license agreement. (Check it to be sure.) I'm not a lawyer; but if it's against the license agreement, then I'd say it's illegal. If not, then it's fine.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

But for me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages compared to other schemes. If offered an alternative, I would gladly choose it over entrusting the full value of my software in a flimsy piece of plastic that can be easily broken or stolen, not to mention the extra costs of buying a USB hub and an iLok and having it insured. It's hard to believe that software companies give a damn about their paying customers when they treat them like criminals and require them to take such risks and add such expenses.

Geoff, I think you have summarized my complaint. The iLok moves you off the reservation. You no longer have the attention of the people that you are keeping in business. I agree - that is a breach of trust.

• Members

Well, it seems that studio DO NEED two licenses, anyway. So, recommend them to buy another one.

That will make sense.

They can't. They are not that big.

We are talking multiple thousands in licenses on 3 iloks (I didn't count but there are around 20 or more on each ilok). :eek:

• Members

This is why a lot of people use Sonar, actually. And the Sonar forums are vicious about reporting warez sites and cracks because the user base really hopes that Cakewalk will continue to keep the copy protection off.

Ditto Propellerheads with Reason.

• Members

...not to mention MOTU with Digital Performer and now Apple with Logic Pro (although in a sense, in Apple's case, the Mac is the dongle).

Addendum: I don't believe Pro Tools requires an iLok either because Digidesign's hardware is their dongle, but I'm pretty sure that everything else Digidesign makes -- Pro Tools Toolkit versions, Eleven, Velvet, Strike, etc. -- does require an iLok.

Best,

Geoff

• CMS Author

Sounds to me like you have a traffic problem, not an iLok problem.

The way iLok works is that when an authorization is installed on a iLok key, the key authorizes the program to run the program on the computer to which the iLok key is directly connected. What you're asking about is whether there's such a thing as a USB merger. There might be, sort of. I'm pretty sure I've seen a gadget that will share a single USB-connected printer with two computers.

Would that work to connect two computers to a single iLok key? I suspect not.

The idea of iLok is that if YOU own a program, you can run it on any computer as long as you also have the key. You can install the program on multiple computers, but it will only run on the computer that has the key with an authorization for that program.

• Members

I think some people are not reading his problem accurately. I do not think the studio wants to run the software concurrently. I think they are fine with only being able to run one app at a time, but on different computers.

Here's the situation/desire how I interpret: Engineer one is in Control Room 1 running the software. He is connected to a USB hub which is outside the control room and which has the iLok plugged in. Then he is done with the software and needs to do more tracking (or whatever) so he flips a switch as he shuts down the program.

The switch activates a light in the other control room which basically says "the software is no longer being used in Control Room 1 - Control Room 2 can now use it." The engineer in Control Room 2 now fires up the software, which is connected to the exact same iLok on that USB hub, which is midway between the 2 control rooms.

I this the basic gist of what they want?

• Members

There are boosts for running more than 20' but you have to put them in every 20'.
:thu:

have you looked at "USB over ethernet" style solutions? this basically pumps the USB datastream as ethernet data.

There can be speed issues, but dongle/key info, I'm doubting speed would be a problem

• Members

I believe you can fire up the 1st computer, once the proper session is open, REMOVE the iLok and use it on the other computer across the hall.

Russ

Nashville

That is what they do currently, but you can't load new plugs can you? I thought you could only edit the current ones (so an ilok is needed when you load plugs in any form).

• Members

I'm not looking for a merger anymore alow me to repeat myself:

I know an ilok can't be shared, that makes sense 1 license used at a time yes I get that.

I want to know if there is a way to plug it in to 1 place have it stay in that place and change locations of where the ilok is recognised via a switch.

Think about it this way: They have at my college switches in the library for printers. Why? Because buying 24 color lazer printers would be stupid expensive so you flip a switch and the printer is routed to the machine your using so you can't print.

Ya dig?

• Members

Wow - they aren't just using a print server? these days the printer even hve onboard server/spoolers

anyway, the USB over 'net might be a solution -- use the dongle on station A as normal - place the USB "Reader" insterface physicially next to station A, but interface the "reader" to station B

that would be a way to deal with the distance solution (you still have to plug/unplug the dongle, but they could be t the same physical location)

you could get a USB switchbox for the "turn a knob" part of the solution

• CMS Author

Here ya go:
Share one USB device among multiple targets.

I suspect that the iLok people are smart enough to make it not work through a device like that but it's probably worth the $30 to find out. He could always send it back if it doesn't. Shipping can't be more than a couple of bucks.

Of course iLoks can get smarter, so it might work today, but once they catch on, the next time you connect to the mothership to authorize a new program, you might find that it's been "updated" so it won't work through the switch any longer.

I had a good hack for my GPS that allowed me to enter itineraries, a feature only offered on the higher priced model, but with the last update, it stopped working. The code (which was there but just didn't have a user interface) apparently was removed to make room for whatever new stuff they thought we should have. Gotta watch that stuff. You can't put off doing upgrades forever.

Archived