Is this possible (ilok question)

• Members

I suspect that the iLok people are smart enough to make it not work through a device like that but it's probably worth the $30 to find out.

There's not really anything to stop, the box is merely a switch, not a splitter/merger (ie the switch only lets one computer talk to the USB peripheral at a time) and the OP is not looking to run instances of th app simultaneously

The solution is only obviating the need to sneakernet th dongle

• Members

Well, it did take 21 posts for me to understand exactly what it was you wanted to do :)...I don't think the iLok would have problems being switched. The fact that you can use an iLok with a different computer - all it cares about is the program you're running - means it wouldn't care if it was switched to a different computer.

BTW I greatly appreciate your wanting to stay within the terms of the EULA. You "get" it. I also believe that the EULA would not want to inhibit you from doing what you're doing. I found myself in a similar situation with Sonar, I have it on my Intel desktop, on my laptop, and also on an AMD machine for testing. They don't care as long as I'm using only one at a time.

• CMS Author

...I don't think the iLok would have problems being switched. The fact that you can use an iLok with a different computer - all it cares about is the program you're running - means it wouldn't care if it was switched to a different computer.

What I don't know (and maybe you do) is whether the program that the key authorized checks back now and then to see if the key is still there. That's certainly possible even if it's not done today. Otherwise, what would prevent you from plugging in the key, starting a program, moving the key to another computer, and starting the same program there (other than your conscience)?

It's also possible to write information to memory in the key that remembers what program it started and when, and then clears that data when you close the program (yeah, it might screw you if the computer crashes before the key gets reset). If you tried to start the same program with the same key on a different computer, the key would know that you already were using your authorization and wouldn't start the second copy, unless you had two licenses stored on the key.

I'm just making up stuff here, but it's all possible if the software company wants to take extra steps to be sure that the user isn't violating provisions of the license. I know this isn't what the original poster was after, but there's a tendency to assume guilt and make you work around it.

Archived