How do I get my tele's twang back?

Electric Monk

• Members

I put Texas Specials in my Tele for the overwound neck pickup and I thought it would be more versatile that way. It is, and I assumed that would be good since I wasn't going to be able to get another guitar for a long time.

Then I got a strat. Whoops!

So yeah, I'm looking for a classic-sounding tele bridge pickup, nothing overwound, hot or anything...

And a mini-humbucker to put in the neck, but I think a duncan is a reasonably good bet for that.

• Members

Let's see.. You liked the twang before the new pickups went in, but you don't like it after the pickups went in..

What to do, what to do?

It wasn't there as much as I'd like to start, the highway ones have hot alnico III pickups which I don't want. I don't want anything hot, overwound, modern or anything like that.

• Members
Which ones you going with? If you go hot, especially on the bridge, I suggest a split switch too. Both tones are really usable.

I think I'm going with the Modern Vintage and yes the split switch is going in. I have to see if the route is deep enough to put in a push/pull volume pot.:thu:

• Members

I drilled a hole right between the vol/tone holes and pit a mini toggle in on mine.

That's what I was thinking might be the way to go. If I go that route I could put in seperate mini toggles for each pickup and have more tonal options.

Archived