Eric Clapton: The Jimmy Buffett of Guitar Heroes

jjpistols

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally disagree.....Buffett is a buffoon.

Clapton is still one of the finest anglo blues players you've ever heard.

Besides, why all the hatin, don't ya know Jesus is comin' ???

:poke:

Agreed.

whatever you can say about Eric's playing from a technical standpoint He was and is a gentleman's gentleman guitarist, not a totaly opinionated asshole like Buffet. I used to be a Buffet fan but that was many years ago when everything was bleary from getting high.

George Harrison said of Clapton "that He was as good a person as you could find" and from the many years of knowing about Him, I guess I would have to agree.

Can Buffet even play lead?:facepalm:

• Members

I've never owned (or downloaded) a Jimmy Buffet recording in my life, but I saw Sonny Landreth in a little bar 3-4 years ago and Jimmy Buffet was there hanging out. Apparently Sonny played on Buffet's latest album, so he came up and sang 2-3 songs with the band. It was real loose, jammy stuff and actually pretty cool. While it didn't make me run home and download any Jimmy Buffet, it did make me think he was somewhat of a cool guy.

That being said, I am a huge Clapton fan. When I first started playing his Unplugged album was a huge hit and I thought he sucked. Really though, if you look at his career it is pretty impressive. He was one of the guys to play with the Yardbirds (who also had Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck), he was one of the guys to play with John Mayall (along with Peter Green and Mick Taylor), he formed Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, he was in Blind Faith with Steve Windwood (Presence of the Lord is an awesome song), he formed Derek and the Dominos and brought in Duane Allman.... ummm.. I'll stop there. Not a big fan of his solo stuff, but it's always well played even if it is cheezy.

Plus, he isn't afraid to bring out younger guitarist (Doyle Bramhall and Derek Trucks) on tour with him. (1) I think that's a huge deal for those guys, (2) he's introducing some really cool, young guitar players to a wider audience, and (3) he's not afraid to let those guys loose -- which hopefully inspires his own playing somewhat.

• Members

Eric Clapton is one of those cats who folks who aren't really into music would associate with guitar playing.

Although judging by some of his recent playing (albert Hall 2005 etc.) , especially as a sideman, he could actually blow most of the people in this forum off the stage.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm not a big Clapton fan, but there must be some fine talent arround here the way so many can him.

Can a fella only play the blues the same as he's been doing for years if he's American and of African descent? I love BB and Buddy, but I haven't heard anything ground breaking from them recently, but no one cans them for it.

Come to think of it Satch hasn't done anything so strikingly different for a fair while. Maybe it's time for some hate Satch, he hasn't done anything since "Surfing With The Alien" threads to start showing up?

• Members

Clapton's magic comes when he plays live.Don't like his solo albums that much,but every live album,video or bootleg that I've heard or seen(and I've heard about 70) was amazing(even drunk like sponge,he played great),not to mention his Cream,Bluesbreakers,Blind faith,Derek and Delaney&Bonnie and friends years.

• Members

He's drunk as {censored} in the YouTube clip. I need to see what Buffett plays like drunk before deciding. I need to watch them both drunk while I'm drunk, then I could really decide. I'd likely type something like: Brffur cack sig wurf a fek, an Clapt plas teh sam typwritr notes alla time.

• Members

I'm not a big Clapton fan, but there must be some fine talent arround here the way so many can him.

Yeah he's better than me to be sure but I'm allowed to hate everything he's done since he picked up a strat if I want to, talent or lack thereof has nothing to do with it, worst strawman ever :freak:

I think the reason a lot of people complain about EC is at one time he was completely amazing, but then he pulled a 180 in approach and commenced to put out decades of music with no fire or balls

• Members

Bo Jackson {censored}ed up what would have been a beautifully long and glorious baseball career to play football as well

I can remember his throw from the outfield wall to the catcher, and mourn what would have been

just as I can go from Tales of Brave Ullyses to the "Phil Collins Years" and punch Clapton in the cock for what would have been

I guess too many people here like to baby Clapton's cock

cockbabys :rolleyes:

Archived