Lower end Gretsch guitars?

twisty571

• Members

i have no idea why people like them, the solid bodies are some of the heaviest guitars i've played and didn't sound or play well.

the hollowbodies are not terrible but they're extremely overpriced. carlo robelli is made in the same factory to the same specs/electronics/case but just with a different headstock. they were charging $300-400 compared to $600 for the gretsch.

i know lower end gretsch owners will think i'm being a snob but i can't consider low end gretsches as "real gretsches". however, the higher end ones are very similar and if i closed my eyes i probably couldn'gt tell the difference between my $3500 white falcon and $2000 double anniversary. (I didn't pay close to that but you get the idea)

• Members

klisk_gretsch.jpg

Mods:

Custom Pickguard

Replaced the Bigsby spring with a larger one.

That's it, actually. I love it. :love: Naysayers might not feel it's a 'real' Gretsch, but they're wrong, and the guys over on the Gretsch forums would also shoo away such naysayers. There's guys over there with White Falcons that claim the Electromatics have "it". Being, the Gretsch "magic". After a few mods (TV Jones pickups, for example, sometimes a new bridge piece.) You have a solid guitar that can compete with the big boys quite easily. Playability isn't even a question, because nothing in it's price range felt as smooth and perfect to me in the hollow body department. The stock pickups are even top notch, unless you're a purist, of course.

Unfortunately, I have no real experience with the solidbody models, but I don't doubt that even if they need a few mods that they aren't killer.

• Members

i have no idea why people like them, the solid bodies are some of the heaviest guitars i've played and didn't sound or play well.

I'm guessing you didn't play the Special Jet. It's a mahogany flat top so it doesn't have a maple cap. Result: average medium-heavy weight without being anywhere close to too heavy. It also has US-made DeArmond 2000 singlecoil pickups rather than the gereric import Gretsch humbuckers in the archtop Gretsches. They sound just fine, and it plays fine too.

No complaints.

94152145_373b9f3161_o.jpg

Btw. so far as I can tell, it's been discontinued. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm guessing you didn't play the Special Jet. It's a mahogany flat top so it doesn't have a maple cap. Result: average medium-heavy weight without being anywhere close to too heavy. It also has US-made DeArmond 2000 singlecoil pickups rather than the gereric import Gretsch humbuckers in the archtop Gretsches. They sound just fine, and it plays fine too.

No complaints.

Btw. so far as I can tell, it's been discontinued.
:facepalm:

Actually was & they do still stock them at MF & for $280 to boot. Was looking at those also. Damn Doc and his green Gretsch has me gassin for 1. Maybe after the holidays I'll grab a couple for me & my son.

270324.jpg

The UPS guy needs to get here with my Charvel though! He's an hour late:mad:

• Members

Those were my words to.
:thu:

Actually was & they do still stock them at MF & for $280 to boot. Was looking at those also. Damn Doc and his green Gretsch has me gassin for 1. Maybe after the holidays I'll grab a couple for me & my son.

270324.jpg
The UPS guy needs to get here with my Charvel though! He's an hour late:mad:

The one you've pictred is a different, bolt-neck model, Junior Jet maybe. It's cheaper than the Special Jet and doesn't have made in USA DeArmond singles. The one pictured has generic import Gretsch mini's.

• Members

The one you've pictred is a different, bolt-neck model, Junior Jet maybe. It's cheaper than the Special Jet and doesn't have made in USA DeArmond singles. The one pictured has generic import Gretsch mini's.

Yep yer actually right,mis read your post when I saw that.

• Members

I Really like the Japanese built Gretsch guitars, also the Peerless Korea built 5120 series is gorgeous, not so keen on the CYG0xxxx serialed Chinese Pro Jet

I owned one, but never really got into it. Changed a few things, gave it another try. Ended up selling it locally on Craigslist for $200.

(By the way, those Carlo Robelli's were built at Peerless, but ended sometime in late 2003 after FMIC bought Gretsch. The G3131 Anniversary Model was the body style used on the Robelli, fresh with full abalone binding on body neck and headstock. Peerless now sells it as a Gigmaster Custom)

I owned one RB-55BK for a while, but due to solid body needs and a changing music style I had to sell it.

025_01A1.jpg

Carlo Robelli RB-1955 in Black (built 6-03/Peerless Korea)

Archived