What's better? A Genuin Am. Std. Fender neck or a neck from Warmoth?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Here's a finished Warmoth neck with nut allready installed for less than $300.

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=1&itemNumber=VMS2289&subMenuItem=2&subMenuItem2=2&neckWood_filter=11,13,14,15,16,17,49,50,63,47&fingerBoardWood_filter=11,13,14,15,16,17,49,50,63,47

VMS2289A.jpg

If I was looking for a neck I would pick that up in a second.

One thing I found out about when assembling guitars is not to expect a guitar built in an afternoon to be immediately fine tuned. You have to let the neck settle under tension for a day or two and make your adjustments. Let it settle again and adjust. In about a week or so of this process the guitar responds just the way you want it to. This is one of my best playing guitars. I have a Warmoth koa/korina strat that was professionally assembled by the guys over at Rudy's Music Stop NYC back in 2001. This guitar plays just as well if not better. I don't attribute that to my "skills". They are meager to say the least. I attribute to the consistent quality of Warmoth products.

Here's a pic of the Korina/koa strat.

koastratf9op.jpg

koastratr6yj.jpg

• Members

I didn't pay over $200 for either of my necks, and both of them have the Wolfgang back shape, and one of them is birdseye maple, while the other is plain maple, but has stainless steel frets.

If you're patient, stuff with the features you want will eventually pop up in the Showcase section.

• Members

I didn't pay over $200 for either of my necks, and both of them have the Wolfgang back shape, and one of them is birdseye maple, while the other is plain maple, but has stainless steel frets.

If you're patient, stuff with the features you want will eventually pop up in the Showcase section.

Wow! Did you finish them yourself? I'm afraid of doing that as I don't have a proper workshop. Damn NYC apartments!!!

• Members

I would guess the quality is probably exactly the same. I don't see a lot of people complaining about Fender USA necks or Warmoth necks haing issues.

The advantage to buying a Warmoth is you can pick the profile and options you want.

• Members

Warmoth because you can customize every aspect of the neck, wood, radius, backshape, finish, fret size and material etc. If you like the specs on the Fender neck though I would get the Fender, because the frets are already dressed and polished and because of the hand-rolled fingerboard edges.

• Members

The Warmoth Pro Series necks are a far cry from Fenders Production Line and easily rival Fenders Custom Shop.

BUT...........I'm talking Pro Series Warmoth. I played a few others by Warmoth that were ok but I would go with a US Fender Standard over them. IMHO.

BTW the Pro Series are one the nicest necks I've played...PERIOD. They are just KILLER quality and Compound Radius. Inlays your choice, Vintage Tint, and Highly figured if you so desire. VERY VERY Good necks.

• Members

BUT...........I'm talking Pro Series Warmoth. I played a few others by Warmoth that were ok but I would go with a US Fender Standard over them. IMHO.

BTW the Pro Series are one the nicest necks I've played...PERIOD. They are just KILLER quality and Compound Radius. Inlays your choice, Vintage Tint, and Highly figured if you so desire. VERY VERY Good necks.

:facepalm:

How many Fender CS necks have you played?? Fender CS can do everything and more whatever Warmoth is doing. They are not doing just the re-issue relic thing you know. Have you played the CS Strat Pro??

• Members
I've said this before, and in other venues, and sometimes I get "shouted down" for it, but, IMHO, the real status symbol is to have a blank headstock.

Fake "Fender" decals are just sleazy, and anything else people will just assume it's a no-name clone.

Anybody can just BUY a guitar. It takes a lot more to have that headstock blank, not advertising for ANYONE. As the old joke goes, "anyone can open an oyster".

I could go into a whole spiel here about logos, trademarks, and how they've supplanted any evidence of real quality in artifacts of our culture, but I'll spare you that. I'll just say that I'd personally display that blank headstock proudly.

Will, in fact.

Frankly, if I were a gigging musician I would prefer a blank headstock. I wouldn't tout a corporation's gear without an endorsement deal.

• Members

Anybody can say it takes a lot of courage to display the blank headstocks of their guitars but they are wrong actually. It takes more courage to admit that you like the "Fender" logo on your headstock.

I'd display the decaled headstocks of my guitars proudly.

Will, in fact.

• Members

Anybody can say it takes a lot of courage to display the blank headstocks of their guitars but they are wrong actually. It takes more courage to admit that you like the "Fender" logo on your headstock.

"Oh, the star-bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars,

and the plain-bellied Sneetches had none upon thars."

• Members

:facepalm:

How many Fender CS necks have you played?? Fender CS can do everything and more whatever Warmoth is doing. They are not doing just the re-issue relic thing you know. Have you played the CS Strat Pro??

Many and I own one. How many Pro Series Warmoths have you played?

• Members

Hamer USA easily rivals Fender CS. Fender Master Built? Your talking a nice guitar/neck. But your not saying anything with their $2000. CS models and their Pro Series? Your Joking right? Thats the lowest priced.model on their CS line. An EJ is a more expensive Strat with a Quarterswan neck?

Archived