Can I wrap black electrical tape around the wiring in my guitar to reduce hum?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Hey guys just looking for some tips to reduce some of the hum in my Strat. Here's the deal, I ordered a new bridge to drop in my Strat. I figured that while the strings are off I'm going to shield the inner cavity of my guitar as well as the back of the pickguard. Thankfully I already shielded my pickups a long time ago and don't have to worry about that.

Anyways, the wiring is still pretty much factory and could definitely be cleaned up a little. So I'm gonna clean up the electronics a little bit to hopefully try to further reduce any hum. I wanted to know if there is anything I could wrap around the electrical wiring to maybe further shield a bit or insulate? I'm not trying to do any re-wiring, just wondering if I can cover the wires with anything? I was wondering if maybe black electrical tape would help a bit?

Any advice would be great! Also if you guys want to add in an extra advice that could potentially decrease hum that would greatly appreciated. Like I said, I already shielded the pickups, and am going to shield the cavity and pickguard. So anything else you could want to suggest, I may be willing to try it if it doesn't involve any major alterations. Thanks guys!

• Members

Ok so I have to ground the shielding? Ok thanks for letting me know! I didn't know that, I was just going to get some spray on adhesive and copper foil and just shield the whole cavity. I didn't know I had to ground it. Wow thanks guys!

Also if one needs to ground the shielding? Then how is the shielding on pickguards grounded? I have seen many examples where only the pickguard is shielded on the back, but not the cavity. Is the shielding grounded on the pickguard?

Thanks for the braiding idea! Definitely going to try to braid the wires together!

Anymore help would be great!

• Members

Also if one needs to ground the shielding? Then how is the shielding on pickguards grounded? I have seen many examples where only the pickguard is shielded on the back, but not the cavity. Is the shielding grounded on the pickguard?

I usually run some excess foil outside the cavity near a few screw holes so that positive copper-copper contact is made between guard and cavity.

On this one I ran a lip around the whole perimeter...OCD alert

DSC_0170-1.jpg

• Members

Also if one needs to ground the shielding? Then how is the shielding on pickguards grounded?

Usually, when shielding the cavities, you leave a small tab or two of the copper foil that is folded up and onto the top of the guitar. When you put the pickguard on, the copper on the pickguard is in contact with the copper tab from the cavity, thus turning it all into one nicely shielded unit.

If the cavity isn't shielded and there's just foil on the back of the pickguard not connected to ground, it won't have nearly as much effect if any.

EDIT: I'm not a quick enough typist - Axegrinder beat me to it! :thu:

• Members

Is there a way to ground the foil in the body cavity without soldering? I have never soldered before. I have read on here that soldering is easy to learn, but if I can ground it without soldering that would be most easiest on me. Is it possible to ground without soldering?

The copper tape I use is from StewMac. It has a conductive adhesive so soldering is not necessary.

I've also used cheap aluminum tape like the kind at Walmart used for ducts. The adhesive isn't conductive so I had to implement an elaborate method of folds to ensure there would be contact.

Archived