If you went a month without dissing something or somebody

• Members

do you think the world would be worse off without your sage advice?

do you think other people's standards would fall because you are not keeping them up where they belong?

that you would explode?

NAT WHILK'S ANTI-GRATUITIOUS NEGATIVITY/CURMUDGEON/SPOUTINGOFFKNOWITALL CAMPAIGN

please contibute by taking a portion of the time you spend running other people down and instead examine your own flaws and follies a bit

thx

nat whilk ii

• Members

Ha! Good one. One of my flaws is that I'm fairly negative towards negative people. And I believe I'm wasting their time, and more importantly, I'm wasting mine. I think many people enjoy being negative, so who am I to rain on their cluster {censored}?

What about you Nat? Any flaws?

• Members

Ha! Good one. One of my flaws is that I'm fairly negative towards negative people. And I believe I'm wasting their time, and more importantly, I'm wasting mine. I think many people enjoy being negative, so who am I to rain on their cluster {censored}?

What about you Nat? Any flaws?

omigosh yes.

ask my wife for the long list....

nat whilk ii

• Members

If you went a month without dissing something or somebody

do you think the world would be worse off without your sage advice?

I'm all for thought experiments, but I think they are a lot more useful if they are, at least, have some grounding in the possible

I mean, conservation of "suck" is a fundamental paramter of the universe -- thankfully, my sucktropy is at the zero state by definition

• Members

There's an upcoming election and questionable economics goin' on. Plenty to talk about. Not really a good time to hold back no matter what side you fall on.

Yeah, because arguing with strangers over alienating topics you can't do anything about is so productive. :poke:

• Members

Dieting or fasting is not hating or dissing food.

It's just trying to do without for a while to help gain some perspective on habits.....

nat whilk ii

your first 3 sentences in your first post were not so subtle digs at people who insult people. i'm just saying there's plenty of hypocrisy there, and maybe giving you some perspective.

• Members

I find this very curious. My first thought was that this was a meta-post of some sort - like a social experiment or interweb sociology thesis at the community college.

There is no challenge quite like a vague challenge for raising hackles. Sort of like walking into a room with a few people and saying, "Do I smell a fart?"

You have posed the thinnest of questions, using the vaguest of language (I mean, really, why 'dissing'), and wrapped it in an "I dare you to answer this thread without being 'negative'."

So, without negativity, what's up?

• Members

There is:

Black and White

Good;) and Bad:deadhorse:

Positive and Negative

Ying and Yang

It's like the (original) Star Trek episode where Capt. James T. Kirk's personality is split in two:poke:...

one his positive :phil:side: one his negative:eekphil:.

Diametrically opposed.

In the end they couldn't survive without each other and were re-fused in the transporter.:eek:

• Members

You should try to be the change you want to see in the world. So instead of starting a thread about people who diss people how about just not dissing people yourself and then do the opposite by finding something positive to talk about?

Just a thought. :idea:

• Moderators

Wow. Quite a string of posts there. The setup, the reactions, the pointing out the flaw in logic, the trying to see the negativity behind the OP who is wearing the "guise" of not wanting to be negative... it's wild I tell you!

But I believe the sincerity in the OP's idea.

Here's something I noticed in the beginning of my 12 year old marriage. We used to fight a lot. As my wife would be pointing her finger at me accusing me of something... it was uncanny, but what she was accusing me of, was something she did.

Really. So I thought this was one hell of a character flaw of hers. "Why the hell are you accusing me of the very thing you do? Weird and totally illogical. But wait... The finger of blame has turned upon itself. What if I examined the possibility that I do the same thing. The things that I'm accusing her of, were things that I do and dislike in myself. When I see her do it. BAM. Out comes the pointing finger.

"YOU DO THIS!!!"

This realization was world changing for us. We both agreed it was happening and became aware. Wow, as soon as we feel like blaming; The finger of blame has turned upon itself... we put a mirror up and take a look at ourselves first.

Then a funny thing happened. We stopped blaming each other. We started treating each other like we wanted to be treated. Hey, I think I've heard this one before.

And we started noticing the phenomenon was not limited to us. But to the world around us.

The finger of blame has turned upon itself. - Neil Finn

• Members

I think expressing anger is a good thing. I also think it's important to, as they say, own your anger, explore it and understand it so that you don't lash out at those you are not actually angry at or who are not related to the true provocations of your anger.

Of course, one is always the source of his own anger. But the provocations may lie outside. And one's relation with those provocations must be explored, too, since the source of the provocation may be entirely innocent and just doing his/her/its job in the big scheme of things.

• Moderators

The order:

1. Triggering circumstance or event

2. Our thoughts processing event

3. Reaction to event

So our thoughts create our reactions. Not outside events. In the words of Epictetus - "People feel disturbed not by things, but by the views they take of them".

• Members

I love that we have the internet where we can share thoughts and tell people what we really think. It's so much better than doing it while driving.

People make their arguments. Some stand, some don't. At the end of the day, even if your opinion has held firm, you probably have a better idea of why you feel the way you do.

• Members

Some people do not have any of those.

nat whilk ii

:lol:

The world would be a lot better off if more people could experience an emotion or thought without having to broadcast it.

Think about how many times a large confrontation has blown up out of nowhere because someone couldn't bite their tongue in response to some perceived minor diss...

Archived