Kramer 1985 Baretta Reissue v. Charvel San Dimas

deuceguitarist

• Members

Alright, so I'm looking for the ultimate hair metal guitar, and I've been trying to decide between these two. Only problem is, no store carries them around here. So I'm gonna get it on the internet (only from a place that allows returns however:). So, which one do you guys recommend?

Kramer 1985 Baretta Reissue- $1,050

Check out the specs: http://www.kramerguitars.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1268

Charvel San dimas Style 1 2h- $1,100

http://www.charvel.com/production_models.html

Thanks!

• Members

I haven't played the Kramer reissue, but it comes with an OFR and hard case. The Charvel comes with a Korean Floyd and gig bag.

Ok, so this might be a stupid ?, but how do you know it doesn't come with an original fr? It says on ths spec sheet floyd rose...

and thanks to everyone so far

• Members

Yep, The Charvel comes with a knock off Floyd.. I still say Charvel:thu:

VHtribute002.jpg

SanDimas014.jpg

Pics just for kicks:D I know that's not the model you are looking at... If you really love Maple bodies and the bright tone that comes with then the 85 is your answer..

• Members

A black OFR would run in the $180 range I guess.. I've no issues with the Floyd on my Charvel and I am a trem user..;) I have OFRs on a number of my instruments and this one on the Charvel is as stable as any of them.. Now, will the knife edges last as long? Probably not but time will tell and if I need to I'll swap to Chrome hardware..

I did a fair amount of fret dressing & finishing to mine.. I also Tung oiled my neck and fretboard.. I'm kinda picky about my instruments.. I won't part with mine now.. The only thing I changed out was the knob..

• Members

I wasn't saying the Korean Floyd was bad, but if Charvel really wants to get $1100 out of these guitars, they really should come with an OFR and case for that price.

Otherwise it's a pretty good guitar for around $800 or so.

• Members

I wasn't saying the Korean Floyd was bad, but if Charvel really wants to get $1100 out of these guitars, they really should come with an OFR and case for that price.

Otherwise it's a pretty good guitar for around $800 or so.

you have the so cal version right?

how do you like it?

• Members

you have the so cal version right?

how do you like it?

I think its a great guitar, I just think they're asking too much for what you get. But if you can haggle the price down to at least $850 or less, its a good guitar for the money.

• Members

This might be a long shot, but... it might be worth looking in to.

Here's a Cl listing in my area (it's not mine, I wish it was) for an '87 Baretta:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/980553719.html

It's one owner and seems clean. Maybe the owner would be willing to ship if contacted. I know you were talking new, but an original MIA Baretta that still has the hang tags and sales receipt by the original owner seems fairly sweet. Maybe the owner would be able to send more pics if requested.

:idk: Ignore if this doesn't interest you.

rd

• Members

Yeah, it was an 84 reissue.. It was ok.. I never bonded with it.. Couldn't get comfy with the neck.. I like the neck on the Charvel...I had Meanstreet's (Unchained) Kramer version as well that was half the price and aside from the case, I didn't see a lot of difference.. Then again, I didn't care for the MusicYo Kramer case either.. The only one worse I've had is the over hyped case for my Washburn N4.. I use my Fender case or a Carvin case for my Charvel.. Fits like a glove..

After saying all of that. Don't pay $1099 for a Charvel.. They can be found in the $800-$900 range and that is a fair price..

• Members

After playing the 6 Charvels that I played...I would not pay $500 for one. I have purchased vintage Kramers for $500 which had the better hardware, the better pickups (if you believe that Seymour Duncans were better before they became the uber mass-produced pickups that they are now-if not, then forget I said it) and ESP made necks.

I think the biggest factor might be that the Charvel has the compound radius neck and the Kramers typically have a more Fender-like neck.

Many people had issues with the wiring on the Charvels, and the cheap/weird-looking knob. They have pretty looking necks though even though fret ends are also mentioned by times (I don't consider that an issue since any good shop will file them down for you as part of purchasing a guitar).

• Members

Ed Roman has the USA Charvels tagged at 999 and will discount. He also sells a kit with real parts if you want a Kramer really cheap:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/charvel.htm

Here is the link to the kits:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/kits.htm

This is going to get a lot of people upset but IMHO the "Ultimate Hair Metal" guitar is a Les Paul.

Everyone from Cinderella to Faster Pussycat to LA Guns to Seduce to Kiss to GNR to Y&T to Warrant to Whitesnake to whoever used Gibson LPs.

Not a knock on the LP. Facts is facts.

Archived