How do you justify spending a lot upgrading a cheap guitar?

elsupermanny14

• Members
If you are buying a guitar that you will eventually sell, you will never recoup the value of mods you put into it because most
shallow
guitar players couldn't tell a good guitar if it bit them in the ass. They're looking for a headstock.

The value of modding a guitar to taste is mostly personal to the modder.

I've always appreciated folks who modded their guitars, then sold them. It's provided me with inexpensive guitars that sound and play great.

Fixed:thu: :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All of my guitars, with the exception of my avatar, have to be gig-worthy guitars. I fix or replace whatever is needed for me to feel comfortable performing. I have had a few that I just could not bring up to par, those are traded away. Things do break and wear out over time, and then I use that opportunity to upgrade. I never upgrade just for the hell of it.

• Members

Two easy reasons:

1) Guitar modding is an enjoyable / rewarding hobby and you can put as little or as much cash / time into it as you want

2) Case in point: I took a $200 standard Squier and added $200 in upgrades and it is good to go up against a guitar that costs double.

csbsquier01.jpg

• Members

I picked up an Oscar Schmidt OE40 due to the larger size of the body (17.3" lower bout and about 4.5" thick) than others. I dropped a Gibson P94 into the neck and a 57 Classic Plus HB at the bridge and added a B6 Bigsby. I paid less than $100 at a second hand store after some haggling. I will get the Gretsch 6120 but until then I've let go of my Epi ES-295, Gretsch 5120, Epi Joe Pass and a few Ibanez Artcores in favor of this one. The nice thing is that the parts can migrate to a new guitar if I want or need to.

• Members

I picked up an Oscar Schmidt OE40 due to the larger size of the body (17.3" lower bout and about 4.5" thick) than others. I dropped a Gibson P94 into the neck and a 57 Classic Plus HB at the bridge and added a B6 Bigsby. I paid less than $100 at a second hand store after some haggling. I will get the Gretsch 6120 but until then I've let go of my Epi ES-295, Gretsch 5120, Epi Joe Pass and a few Ibanez Artcores in favor of this one. The nice thing is that the parts can migrate to a new guitar if I want or need to.

I just got my first 2 Gretschs a couple of weeks ago - a 5125 and an Americana (if that counts)

I love the 5125 and so far see no need to modify it.

But it seems that Gretsch owners are among the most active and detailed nitty-gritty folks as modders. On one of the forums "the Gretsch Pages" there is a thread today about faking bindings in the f-holes with markers, a zillion threads dedicated to pickguard asthetics, upgrading 51xx's to approach pro levels, and of course the topic of pickup swaps, which with Gretsches I understand is not a drop in and solder it up affair. Most Gretsch guitars have proprietary pickup cutouts that must be modifed

• Members

Here is how you justify it:

Buy a $600-$700 guitar used but in new condition for about $300...like I did with an older Korean made G&L Tribute ASAT Classic. The guitars play and feel great-very solid build.

Then buy an $80 Lindy Fralin neck pickup and a $70 JS Moore bridge pickup like...I did.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2179198

...and listen to your $450 sound like $1500.

• Members

I've had a number of inexpensive guitars I've done some minor mods on like pickup swaps, tuners, etc. But I have one guitar I've pulled out all the stops on. I bought a used PRS Santana SE for about $300. Since then I've added the following:

Sustainac system

Roland GK2A synth pickup

Duncan Custom Custom w/ mini toggle for 3-way switching

GraphTech bridge saddles

Planet Waves Locking tuners

I've spent more on the mods than on the guitar, but I don't regret it in the least. I enjoy hot rodding guitars and now I have a really unique instrument that is capable of getting me into musical territory that I can't get to with any other guitar.

• Members

I just got my first 2 Gretschs a couple of weeks ago - a 5125 and an Americana (if that counts)

I love the 5125 and so far see no need to modify it.

But it seems that Gretsch owners are among the most active and detailed nitty-gritty folks as modders. On one of the forums "the Gretsch Pages" there is a thread today about faking bindings in the f-holes with markers, a zillion threads dedicated to pickguard asthetics, upgrading 51xx's to approach pro levels, and of course the topic of pickup swaps, which with Gretsches I understand is not a drop in and solder it up affair. Most Gretsch guitars have proprietary pickup cutouts that must be modifed

Those Electromatics are nice guitars. Mine was well finished and certainly played well with a fast neck. Mods on hollowbodies make alot of sense to me as the construction is largely the same across the price points, at least for the mass made ones. The pick ups are another story; changes there can make a large difference.

FWIW I love my Rancher. I sold my Buddy Holly J45, a few Martins and most all the lesser names and kept that one. How is the sound on the Americana?

• Members

I'm pretty easy to please.

To me, what matters most is the neck. If it's comfortable, fast and easy to play, I'd upgrade the whole guitar. First pickups, then maybe other parts.

I still have my Ibanez GAX-75 that was my first guitar from almost 5 years ago. It was just over $200 new. I love it's neck, so with some new GFS Retrotron pickups, it now sounds really good, and I like playing it.

I'd rather get a decent budget or mid-level guitar, up to about $400 or so, and upgrade it over time, than to spend $1000 or thousands of dollars on one.

• Members

To me, it's a matter of what you pay for the end product. I like doing the work myself so that's not a problem or a deterrent. If I can take a $150 guitar and do some work and mods that cost me another $100 and it plays and sounds better than what you can buy for $250 when I'm ahead of the game.

I have no doubt that, given enough time, someone could hand pick lower end fender and/or squier parts, mix them with higher end hardware, and build themself a guitar that would rival american fender quality. Maybe even custom shop quality. One would only have to spend the time and, if one accounts for their own time, it may come out even more expensive than buying a higher quality guitar.

This approach obviously doesn't work if resale value is important to you all the time. I think for a lot of us, we feel we're building guitars to be played and to be played hard so resale value isn't a concern with these projects.

• Members

As the answers to this thread both illustrate and have stated, the answers are varied and personal. To (kinda) summarize:

1. If you like it, and you want it better, it can be worth it to you.

2. Modding teaches you what really matters to you in a guitar.

3. To some it is NOT justifiable, they buy what they want off the bat.

4. Price of guitar $150, price of mods $300, price of blowing people's minds with how you get the sound/performance you do out of a "cheap" guitar... priceless.

5. Guitars are for playing, not collecting, not selling, what does original cost or resale have to do with it? :confused:

Alll positions are valid. As for Frets99's statement that most guitarists wouldn't know a good guitar if, well you read what he said, I don't know if it's most, but I will say that most modders know a lot more about what makes a guitar play/sound good than non-modders. if that was the ONLY thing I got from modding it would have been worth it to me. But I believe that I got quite a lot more! :thu:

• Members

For me personally, it's fun. I like working on guitars. And since I do all the work myself, I don't really think it costs much money. I like the feeling of being in control of my guitars maintenance needs (i.e. I don't have to pay for "setups" and I can freely mod my electronics on all my guitars without fear).

I saw a lot of comments here about "the neck" and I think those are spot on. With the 2 bullets I upgraded, they both had excellent feeling necks to start with. After refinishing them with high gloss deft, adding a graphtec nut and new tuners, these necks are now GREAT necks (not amazing, omg this is the best neck I ever felt necks, but pretty damn good).

In the case of white bullet, I have about $250 into it and it's a giggable, good sounding, good playing guitar. Cost is much less then a MiM strat, and IMO it's a way better ax. With my black one I've got about $350 into it (it has x3 humbuckers) and it too is a fully giggable ax that I would put up against any MiM strat. And I had the fun and enjoyment of working on both of them...

White bullet:

bullet.jpg

Black bullet:

bullet-black-1.jpg

bullet-black-0.jpg

Archived