How do you justify spending a lot upgrading a cheap guitar?

elsupermanny14

• Members

...doesn't have to take "a lot". ...One or two components at a time. I have a pretty nice Legend Strat copy (blue metal flake, rosewood board, matching headstock), picked up at pawn for about $50. Already put a tremsetter in it, $30, worth every penny. I'm gonna put a Dimarzio Red Velvet PU (Tele voiced strat pu) in the bridge ($42 used). I figure at some point I'll swap out the neck (if I can find a maple one dyed completely red - making the guitar red, white and blue) -- and tuners/bridge assembly. If I do this over a year or two and find good deals on components, I maybe will have spent $350-400 on the whole shebang - and have a one-of-a-kind guitar.

Compared to dopey youngsters taking a $15000 car and doing $20000 worth of mods to it :freak:, I'd say the guitar thing is a drop in the bucket.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
My main go to guitar is a Chinese 335 clone by S101. Ive since swapped the pups for a set of Dream 180's, added a bone nut and orange drop caps along with changing the knobs. The guitar cost me $100 on Craigslist and ive dropped another $100 or so into it.

29eka2o.jpg

with the pup swap:

2rgnqxu.jpg

played an S101 hollowbody in a music store - was very impressed - great bang for the buck - hate the brand name tho

• Members

I saw a lot of comments here about "the neck" and I think those are spot on. With the 2 bullets I upgraded, they both had excellent feeling necks to start with. After refinishing them with high gloss deft, adding a graphtec nut and new tuners, these necks are now GREAT necks (not amazing, omg this is the best neck I ever felt necks, but pretty damn good).

In the case of white bullet, I have about $250 into it and it's a giggable, good sounding, good playing guitar. Cost is much less then a MiM strat, and IMO it's a way better ax. With my black one I've got about $350 into it (it has x3 humbuckers) and it too is a fully giggable ax that I would put up against any MiM strat. And I had the fun and enjoyment of working on both of them...

White bullet:

bullet.jpg

Is that the GFS preloaded pickguard? If so, then that is the exact same as my upcoming project guitar.

My upcoming project I've already put $40 into (Fender neck to replace Squier neck that was somewhat thicker than I wanted to play on) and I'll be putting either $40 for the basic GFS pickguard or $150 for the GFS Neovin loaded pickguard (you tell me) and $10 in Krylon spray paints. Bridge is some old vintage-style trem I got free off some guy so the final product will be less than 10% original (the original part being the Squier Affinity 3-piece body).

• Members

This thread makes me want to mod a guitar. I've been wanting a tele. Maybe that's the way to go.

What do you think a decent budget would be to end up with a good telecaster if I got used one for $100.00-150.00?

I've had a good time modding one of these: STL 50

The necks on these are wider than the Fender tele necks I've played. Most of us who own them like them. For other reviews you might want to check the HC user reviews.

People had also written about having a good time modding used Squier teles which you can sometimes find in higher end of that price range.

• Members

played an S101 hollowbody in a music store - was very impressed - great bang for the buck - hate the brand name tho

and the S101 brand name is dead. The entire line has changed and is now under the "Canvas" name brand. Its was a horrible name indeed but the logo was cool with eagle and all.

• Members

2 squier 51s - one I paid $69 for, the other I paid $80. A Jay Turser Rosewood tele - paid $120 for a 'second'.

Those prices are ALL significantly cheaper than I could go anywhere and get a finished body. In some cases, the body and some hardware was all that was left of the original guitar after modifications, but it was still significantly cheaper than going to allparts, warmoth, etc and getting and finishing a body.

On one of the squiers, all I changed was the bridge and pickups. Left the neck, tuners, hardware, etc. - and the new parts were all leftovers from other projects - so that is STILL a cheap guitar. But it looks, plays, and sounds great.

The end result, having a toneful, playable guitar is the only justification I worry about.

• Members

Is that the GFS preloaded pickguard? If so, then that is the exact same as my upcoming project guitar.

My upcoming project I've already put $40 into (Fender neck to replace Squier neck that was somewhat thicker than I wanted to play on) and I'll be putting either $40 for the basic GFS pickguard or $150 for the GFS Neovin loaded pickguard (you tell me) and $10 in Krylon spray paints. Bridge is some old vintage-style trem I got free off some guy so the final product will be less than 10% original (the original part being the Squier Affinity 3-piece body).

Yeah, that was a $34 gfs loaded pickguard, however the guitar no long has those pickups in it. I would get a gfs guard, and better (GFS?) pups myself.

• Members

When you have a wife it is a lot easier to get away with modding a guitar you already have then trying to walk in the door with a new one. I also find it easier to connect to a guitar once I know the ins and outs of it.

I HAVE TO SNEAK THEM INTO THE HOUSE WHEN SHES AWAY, SLEEPING ETC!

• Members

Well, the good thing is I don't HAVE to justify it. I also like doing it.

What convinced me was the fact that I could get a inexpensive guitar that had a solid platform (body, neck, frets) and make it practically "telepathic" in that it plays and sounds like it can almost read my mind and actually give me what I want. It's got to feel solid and not like I will play it apart.

It doesn't have to compare to a $XXXX.XX guitar because it's got its own great voice and plays effortlessly (I always get a fret dressing or whatever it needs).

Not a militant thing, just that now I have a bunch of guitars with different tonal characteristics, or unique things like creating a fretless or converting a travel electric into a high strung guitar. The journey is half the fun, and the results can be pretty cool.

Nothing wrong with driving a Bentley, but a Volkswagen beetle with a Porsche engine can be fun too (. . .on second thought, nah, that's just dangerous. . .).

Also, considering what the old blues players were playing on and making magic. . .

• Members

If I can make cheap guitar better for less money than I can buy a better guitar, I'm in the clear. I have an SX P/J bass. It looks good, plays well, intonates damn near perfectly. Pickups were pretty bland. I tried the GFS equivalents, they're too low output. I have a Japanese P/J on the way, I'm putting Bartolinis in it if it needs it, the stockers will go into the SX. If it doesn't, the Bartos go in the SX. Ergo, I'd have a $120 bass with $170 worth of pickups in it. To get it's equal, I'd need to spend about $500, not including pickups (and nothing beats Bartos, IMO), so I don't see it as doubling the investment in a cheap instrument, I see it as a $290 bass that still fights way above its weight class.

Archived