Memphis or Chicago? (Kinda OT)

2pacHendrix

• Members

So my dad and I are planning a trip this spring break. We are going via train because the airports on sprink break are CRAZY!! So please don't reccomend LA or New York or someplace far from Kansas.

Anyway, we are going for 4 days and my dad said I could go to a few geetar shops one day. And the other 3 days we have to find something else to do.UGH!

So I have narrowed my choices to Memphis, TN and Chicago, IL to visit. I choose Memphis because of the great music scene they have there and chicago because...it's awesome. So, which place should I visit? Which city has some good local guitar shops and has some great places to visit? Remember this trip isn't all about guitars, it's about having fun and spending time with my dad and exploring the great city.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

:wave:

• Members

I second chicago, been to both, just something about chicago for me, is just "it". I love the city and everything about it. And dont forget it has an amazing music scene as well, though maybe not the music some people would prefer.

What kind of music? I know Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco are from Chicago, and they are the best rappers out there now.

• Members

Chicago tends to have a lot of emo, punk, the general scene is pretty heavy there, same is in grand rapids Michigan (where I live) I think we get a little influence from chicago. Though it is quite a large city, im sure theres a lot of all music being played, but thats the music I more see because im more interested.

• Members

Chicago is one of the world's greatest cities. Nuff Said. It's on par with NY, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc. Though if you've been there a lot you might find yourself in a rut. Wherever you go, really read p on it and make a list of new things you want to try (and prepare to possibly be disappointed, but you never know until you try).

Memphis is not. For a city that relies so much on tourism, they couldn't do a worse job of providing for them. There is little information available within the city, city-ran attractions seem to open and lose on a whim, and the locals seem completely useless for suggestions (how can so many people be so ignoant of their surroundings). If you really want to see Memphis, wait until May and go on one of their festival weekends when the city actually takes time to try and keep tourists occupied and entertained. Beale Street is all pretty pre-fabricated (the real Beale St. was dismantled after the King riots in '68) and the only 2 blocks long, it's like a miniature imitation of Bourbon St., you'll see it all in one evening. The Gibson factory tour is an expensive joke. Graceland is fun if you like tacky (I do!). Some positives. The Sun Studio tour is a big highlight on the city for me, but it's only a 1/2 hour (there is a reason the name is plural). My favorite BBQ in the area is A&R. My favorite club on Beale Street is Rum Boogie (less favorite is BB kings).

Now, Nashville, on the other hand, while no bigger than Memphis, bends over backwards to keep tourists happy and spending money. Every single person seemed to have a suggestion of what to do in town, which is something I expect of locals in a tourist town (I could do when I lived in DC, and I can do it here in LA). I may have a hard time killing 4 days there though. Driving/riding westbound on US-64 through Tenn., you can really spot the change as you gradually get further west and closer to Memphis, the small towns slowly go from Mayberry-esque to being full of pawn brokers and bailbondsmen.

• Members

^^^ While I will not quite agree with Larry above, if it was my choice, I would choose Memphis, OR, like Wyatt said, give Nashville a shot.

Having lived near Chicago for 41 of my 44 years, here are the cons:

1) EXPENSIVE as hell! Cook County has THE highest sales tax in the country, on top of already highly inflated prices.

2) While it IS a great city, and there is PLENTY to do, it is not easy getting around. Especially during the week - gridlock hell.

Plus, just about everything (except for a stroll on Lake Shore Drive, or going to Lincoln Park Zoo), costs some heavy buckage (see #1 above).

3) That time of year the weather is still pretty crappy. At any given time, it will be snowing/raining/windy. If you are planning on anything outdoors, the weather is not at its' best in March/April.

Just my biased $.02.

• Members

No question...go to Chicago. Memphis is a {censored}ing cesspool. Beale street is cool for about two hours worth of your life. But it's not worth the 6 homeless dudes sleeping on the sidewalk you'll have to step over on your way there. Sun Studio & Gibson factory is worth a look if you go, but seriously, I was not that impressed. Plus, I despise Elvis (the original Backstreet Boy/American Idol).

I spend as much time as I can in Chicago, and still haven't done & seen everything I want to there.

• Members

If you love tha blues man i would go to Memphis i was born there and i love it i would like to move back. Its fun but i never been to Chicago so this is just my opinion but i love it great food and great music their is the gibson show case down there and its a lot of fun if you love gibsons. i would consider Memphis non stop music man..:thu:

• Members

I haven't been to Chicago, but I grew up in Memphis, and I still visit there several times a year. Having said that, I avoid downtown altogether after dark, unless there's a big event with lots of folks around, like a ball game at the forum or something. Even on the weekend walking around downtown, I always have my guard up. Maybe Chicago or any other big city is as bad, hard to say. For what it's worth, I've seen LOTs of "COPS", "First 48" and other real crime shows filmed on the streets of Memphis, but haven't seen any from Chicago. Seems like Memphis is a favorite place for crime shows. It's a good town in lots of ways, but in my opinion, not a good town to wander around in at night if you don't know exactly where to go and where not to.

• Members

I was in Memphis for two days. I did not leave the Peabody hotel. This was 1988. It was a mess.

San Antonio is one big long drunk. In a good way. The only place that has more parties/festivals/fetes is Germany.

Were the ducks cute?

• Members

Ducks are always cute. Yep in the lobby in the fountain, and in the elevator. They had a tender that would clean up after them too.

I was there with the Secret Service, (don't ask, or I'd have to kill you) so I spent alot of time in the non public areas of the Peabody. The Duck House on the roof, that looks so nice from a distance, is a smelly {censored}hole of a chicken coop. Memphis is not pretty from the roof.

I was there on the anniversary of Dr King's assasination and it was tense outside.

The prettiest part of Memphis is along the water, but it didn't have any development then, such as restaurants or any kind of commercial establishments, just a highrise hotel or two I think.

As boring as St Louis is, it was much better.

Edit: Second to Memphis was Dallas. Go figure. We were in the Anatole which is VERY nice, but there's nothing around it, and it's not near the West End. Another dud was Nashua New Hampshire. That whole town is a facepalm. Even Bakersfield CA was better. Imagine that! LA was cool, DC was cool, and I don't remember anymore cities.

I say take Dad to Austin. I think I'll go myself in the spring.

Archived