Tuner recommendations?

ashasha

• Members

+1 on the turbo tuner. Yeah its cheaper priced than the peterson stuff but its also faster and IMO tracks better (i've used both). just because its not a popular 'big' name brand dont let that influence your decision.

this is one of the few products that i honestly feel you get more than you pay for.

• Members

No problems at all about the questions because I am trying to get the best tuner within reason. Pitchblack was really high on my list until I was reading up on temperaments and found an article that I almost understood. :facepalm:

Anyway, the dude is apparently a professional something or other with musical instruments and owned a real strobe tuner for years that was really damn expensive. Near the end of the page he had a whole section devoted to the turbo tuner when it first came out. He raved about it and said that it was hands down the best strobe tuner to come out and that it was portable. He even eluded to it being better than the Peterson stuff even though he didn't spell their name out fully.

From what I can see both the Peterson and Turbo tuner stuff are more than accurate enough for setting intonation. The Turbo Tuner tracks faster which is neat, but like someone said that isn't going to be overly useful in real life.

Both appeared to settle down at about the same exact point so that leads me to believe that accuracy wise they are about dead even. That's the biggest point IMHO. That is why I am not looking at the TU-2 and PT-100 or the Pitchblack, because what specs I have seen aren't anywhere close to either of these.

Is it going to matter that much when it's on a pedal board? Not really, but I want to get something that is good enough for doing a legitimately professional level setup and also be a good fit on the pedal board.

The only thing that the Peterson has over the Turbo Tuner besides the fancy interface are the sweetened tunings. These intrigue the hell out of me and was the initial reason for trying to learn about temperaments, but I don't know if they are really that useful.

Price-wise the Turbo Tuner has the clear advantage. You can also program your own temperaments, but if I knew how that {censored} worked I could probably get by using a software tuner like APTuner or G-tune; I just don't know what the offsets should be and Peterson protects that {censored} pretty tightly.

• Members

I have the original turbo tuner, not the stompbox one.

I bought it on rec from KwadGuy I think.

I like it a lot.

I snagged it with Live.com 30% off.

The moving circular display is EASY to use.

It works on ANY instrument.

Do you think that you could use it on a pedal board? I am really gentle with my stuff and unless it isn't true bypass I imagine that it would work wouldn't it? I kind of like the more intuitive display of the original one.

• Members
I'm on dialup so I haven't watched the video. Why would you reconsider your initial choice exactly ? The music store here were out of stock so I don't have one right now, that's why I'm curious.

Thanks
:)

i've owned my Korg DT-10 for about 5 years now. before i got it, i actually got a Strobostomp. i tuned everything in sight for hours that day, and was no more in-tune than with my BOSS TU-12. and i never could get the display on the Strobo to stop moving, especially on my Ibanez RG which was my main guitar at the time. so i brought it back and got the DT-10 and we've been happy since.

i'm putting together a smaller board for rehearsals, and was going to get a PitchBlack for it. but the turbo-tuner is smaller, and addresses the display problems i had with the Strobostomp. if you watch the video, it tracks faster. and its less expensive.

i'd like to try one out in a store first, but i honestly think its a no-brainer.

• Members

I think the Ibanez TU-20 is one of the best tuners around for the money. It's true bypass has a cool interface, solid construction and it only costs like 40$ new. Tunes as well as my TU-2, Line 6 and GTR tuners.. Might wanna take a look anyway.. ;)

Archived