Lace sensors love or hate?

realtree71

• Members

I have two guitars with lace sensors. Love them. I think the tone on the neck pickup is fantastic on both guitars.

87 Strat Plus: First electric guitar I ever bought. Love them.

87StratPlus.jpg

2000 Jeff Beck: This has stacked in the bridge position. Can't really tell a big difference when they are stacked. Maybe a bit better for distorted tunes, but not as good as a true humbucker.

JeffBeckStrat.jpg

I don't think the lace sensors are a replacements for other types of pickups. I think in the neck position, they give a fuller sound. They are quieter too, but my 82 Strat with single coils is a lot brighter and has more of that strat twang and plunkety sound. Even though the blue one is advertised to give a PAF sound, it's not a replacement for a true PAF humbucker.

• Members
I have two guitars with lace sensors. Love them. I think the tone on the neck pickup is fantastic on both guitars.

87 Strat Plus: First electric guitar I ever bought. Love them.

87StratPlus.jpg

2000 Jeff Beck: This has stacked in the bridge position. Can't really tell a big difference when they are stacked. Maybe a bit better for distorted tunes, but not as good as a true humbucker.

JeffBeckStrat.jpg

I don't think the lace sensors are a replacements for other types of pickups. I think in the neck position, they give a fuller sound. They are quieter too, but my 82 Strat with single coils is a lot brighter and has more of that strat twang and plunkety sound. Even though the blue one is advertised to give a PAF sound, it's not a replacement for a true PAF humbucker.

Nice planks bro. I really do feel those two models are THE top strats Fender ever made.

• Members

I have a '95 Strat Plus with three gold LS's and for the most part I love 'em. The neck and middle pups sound fine to me and I love having a quieter Strat. The only problem is the bridge lace sensor. I'm primarily a Gibson guy and use to having a fair amount of grunt in the bridge position. No matter how I set the tone etc, it's just a little thin for my tastes.

Totally blew it a few years ago. A guy that was closing his shop offered me a Jeff Beck model pickguard with all the pickups and electronics in it for a hundred bucks. Didn't have the money on me at the time and when I went back it was gone. That would be the setup right there. Single laces in the neck and middle and then the stacked coils at the bridge. Dang!

• Members

Love em - I have two strats with them, one with a set of Golds and one with a silver/silver/red set. Both sound absolutely awesome but to me, the silvers may well be the optimum strat PU - still enough of the strat puckyness and twang for me, but fuller and rounder under gain. The Red *IS* harsh, but in a band context it's a very good cutting rock sound

• Members

Hell yea. Everybody raves about them, but I have no idea how they sound.

I've searched for opinions and clips of the Drop N Gains but can't find much. :idk:

I'm going solely on the HC pickup reviews.

I was originally after Duncans, but the shop I purchased the guitar from made a boo boo and so to compensate they did a fantastic deal for me on some pickups.

They didn't stock Duncans, only Lace and some other brands so I decided to go with Lace.

Can't wait to see how they sound!

Hope its at least an improvement over stock.

• Members

Only experience I had was in the 80's. I had a Strat plus with Lace Sensors. Real quiet. No vibe. Swapped them out for Texas Specials. I own a '64, a Hendrix Tribute (a gift from my wife) and the Plus. The Plus was my backup for years. Maybe the Lace sensors are vibier now. Didn't Clapton use them?

Don't care for EC's tone much lately.

• Members

After going through several sets of pups in my 91 MIJ strat I ended up with Lace Hot Golds. The vendor, who I can't recall at the moment, offered a swap to any other Lace Sensors or money refunded if I didn't like the hot golds. They aren't too twangy, but clean they shine and dirty very rich and throaty. Suit me just fine.

Twas the untameable, damnable single coil noise that drove me to it. :)

Steve

Archived