Best way to set up a tone control for the bridge pickup of a Strat?

elsupermanny14

• Members

So I have been wanting to wire up my guitar to have a tone control for the bridge pickup of my Strat. I have a humbucker in there and would love to be able to deepen it up a bit.

My question is what would be the best way to setup a tone control on it for convenience? Would you want to have one tone for the bridge only and then one tone for the neck and middle? or would you want to do one tone control for the bridge and middle with a tone control for the neck only? or would you want to have a tone control on the neck and a tone control for the bridge with no tone on the middle pickup?

What do you guys use/prefer? I'm just trying to figure out what is the most comfortable way to deal with having tone and switching pickup positions. Thanks!

• Members

Honestly, I set ALL of my strats to use one tone control, it's easiest that way. I don't record, just play live and I find having a single tone control is best. That also frees up the bottom pot for other uses (blender?).

Yep, this. I set up the extra pot for a coil split on an HSS. Not perfect, but no switches or drilling needed.

• Members

On one of my strats I have the second tone control the mid and bridge (as per Jack's diagram). On the other I have one master tone. In the empty hole I put in a switch to turn the bridge pup on/off. That way you can have all combinations of pickups (neck/bridge, all three). I just finished setting up a friend's strat that way.

• Members

Remember that if you don't have a no-load tone control pot, hooking it up to the bridge will cause some treble bleed off the top that you won't be able to get back. I wired mine up with a no-load attached to the bridge and nothing on the middle. I prefer to use the middle to emulate telecasters (say Andy Summers) and other high treble sounds. YMMV.

Archived