Sanding back of neck down?

marvo

• Members

I sanded the neck on my Douglad Spad (detailed post here). I had a lot of trouble getting the edges cleaned up and ended up resorting to using a dremel in some spots. The end result is a much better playing guitar. Be prepared for a whole lot of work and wear a face mask or you'll be hacking up nasty crap for the next two days.

P1010009Medium.jpg

• Members

Excellent work there. How did you get the edges so clean?

They were taped off which helped, but I carefully removed the paint near the tape with a razor blade. The hardest part was sanding near the heel as it was very difficult to sand with the gain. I still think it turned out great though and I love the feel of a raw neck. And I decided to leave the paint on the back of the headstock because that just seemed easier to do. I'm not a Zakk fanboy or anything but it just seemed to look nicer by leaving that little bit of a design on the back rather than just a straight line across the neck near the headstock. Just take your time and it should turn out just fine.

• Members

I never have to seal mine because I don't break through the finish.

A fine Scotchbrite pad rubbed on the finish will matte-it up nicely:thu:

This.

I never understand why people go full tilt on removing all the finish and re-applying sealer. Taking a scotchbrite pad to the neck (or 0000 steel wool) gives the same results with less work, and it's easily buffed back to the original gloss if you ever want to sell the guitar.

• Members

They were taped off which helped, but I carefully removed the paint near the tape with a razor blade. The hardest part was sanding near the heel as it was very difficult to sand with the gain.

The razor makes sense. When doing the edge work I ran into trouble with the sandpaper not being precise enough to get a clean edge without chewing too deeply into the bare wood I had already exposed. The heel was a bitch for me as well. In my case I was fighting a think and sloppy metal flake finish so YMMV with a more conventional finish.

• Members

I hate the upkeep of an oiled neck... besides, it just kills the reslae value to sand down a neck...

In the 16 years I have owned my Ibanez Roadstar the only upkeep the oiled neck has needed was to be played regularly. In the case of my Douglas, well, it is a Douglas - it had little resale value from the start.

• Members

Sorry to hijack the OP, but I have a strat I traded for with some rough spots on the neck. I have been thinking of sanding it down and shooting it with some poly or something. I want to take it down just enough so that the dings (or the majority of them) are low and able to be filled by the poly coat. Any thoughts?

Archived