New lap steel day! ...lots of pics

Bowen

• Members

I just finished this lap steel today. The build was very easy compared to making a guitar. I put about 15 hours build time in to this. Only a couple of mistakes in this one: there are 2 tiny gaps in the binding.

Working with Padouk is a bit of a pain in the ass. The dust is dark red and pretty oily so it stains cloth pink. The color bleeds when any solvent based finish is applied so the binding and my fingers turned a nice soft red color. Other than that it cuts and sands easily.

Acoustically the lap steel rings like a piano. It is very clear with unreal sustain. A grain of salt, my ears are used to guitars with 9s or 10s.

The GFS mean 90 is really in it's happy place. With the heavy high tension strings the pickup sounds much better than it does in the 24.75" scale guitar that I took it from. From clean to pantera scooped I can't find a bad sound.

Specs:

Padouk body with white binding

Rosewood neck with maple lines and MOP dots

Bone nut

Grover tuners

GFS hardtail bridge

GFS Mean 90 pickup

25.5" scale

Tuned in open E

.013 to .056 strings

Nitro lacquer over shellac. The grain is not filled, for a natural look.

Now I just have to learn how to play it!

ls1.jpg

ls2.jpg

ls3.jpg

ls4.jpg

ls5.jpg

ls6.jpg

ls8.jpg

ls9.jpg

ls10.jpg

• Members
That looks great. You should grace with with a sound clip
:)

Is the low E nut slot OK? It looks like it's teetering on the edge.

I'd post a sound clip but I'd embarrass myself terribly. In a couple of years I'll upgrade myself to beginner player status.

The low E nut slot is pretty good, but it is the victim of a couple of bad camera angles. The nut will be replaced though because of the high B and E spacing is not quite on target.

Archived