What is This on the Headstock?

FourT6and2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't make out much in those pix...but my guess is a flip up mute device like those originally used by jazz players to control feedback and keep open strings from ringing. I think Jennifer Batten has her name on a current version.

But that's just an educated guess as I can'r see much in those photos.

• Members

It's tool, it probably has some kind of introspective meaning like seeing yourself in their music. Adam Jones is great. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia that mentions the mirror, "His main Les Paul has a headstock ornament, it appears to be a blue mirror, which covers the usual split diamond inlay..."

• Members

Ummm...

Interesting, considering they've never produced any video work in the 20 years they've been together as a band...

They've filmed at shows before. But, never released any footage. They certainly don't film at every show and that "lipstick cam mount" has been on his guitar for at least 10 years. You'd think he'd take it off if he wasn't using it.

But, it's the best explination I've heard so far.

• Members

Looks like a magnifying glass to me.

Or a monocle.

Maybe he wears it on-stage sometimes, and when he doesn't, he sticks that bitch to the headstock and rocks.

+1

Looks like a magnifying glass. And it looks like two different guitars with it on there...one of them has the typical "custom" inlay, and the other one looks like a #1. I'm not a tool fan, though, so I could be overanalyzing...

• Members

+1

Looks like a magnifying glass. And it looks like two different guitars with it on there...one of them has the typical "custom" inlay, and the other one looks like a #1. I'm not a tool fan, though, so I could be overanalyzing...

The #1 you are seeing is whatever is being mounted to the round thing on the headstock. If it is, it would be the lipstick cam.

All the inlays are the normal ones for Les Paul Customs.

• Members

I was starting to think my posts were only visible to me...

I could be wrong. Looks pretty typical, though. I have no idea how they use it, maybe they analyze their own footage like athletes?

There are a variety of mounts for these things, but the mount imay be pretty permanently fastened to the headstock to preserve the angle uses. Anything completely removable will require re-adjustment every time.

You happen to have a link to any other photos of lipstick cams mounted on guitars?

• Members

Huh. Okay, three objects.

Lipstick cam in one, mount in another, and convex (blue?) mirrors in all. No idea what that last is about, can't think of any use that would work with it either on the body or headstock.

Religious significance, clearly..
;)

You lost me. I only see two objects. Round, mirror/glass-like thing and the "bar" or "#1" shaped thing that sits on top of it. In some photos the latter is not there.

The same thing that is on Justin's bass is on Adam's guitar.

Archived