What is This on the Headstock?

FourT6and2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was something he put on after the 10,000 days album came out. On the CD, there are these bulbous plastic lenses that you look through to magnify the album art (it's a really cool CD package). They carried that theme to live shows. It's just a cosmetic touch on the headstock, with no significance or meaning.

Tool-CD-cover.jpg

• Members

It was something he put on after the 10,000 days album came out. On the CD, there are these bulbous plastic lenses that you look through to magnify the album art (it's a really cool CD package). They carried that theme to live shows. It's just a cosmetic touch on the headstock, with no significance or meaning.

Tool-CD-cover.jpg

Nope. I've seen them on his guitar(s) way before 10,000 Days. I saw them live on their Lateralus tour and he had it on then, as well.

• Members

Yeah, I wasn't even seeing the round thing(s), only the bar... and what may be an illusion in the second shot, partly the bar, maybe, partly a reflection in the round thing I didn't know was there.

Dunno, the round things make no sense to me at all. I guess if they stick convex mirrors on their guitars for no apparent reason, the bar could be just about anything.

Edit: Cross-post before I read the above.

:) And now, we're both confused.

The bar is probably a camera, like you said. But, I was originally asking about the round thing (which people have been telling me is the inlay on a Les Paul Supreme...which it isn't because he plays Customs and is also on Justin's bass guitar's body).

• Members

It's a mojo gem, and it stores extra mojo for the player to call upon in trying times.. Like when your tech hands you a guitar tuned to drop C instead of standard.. You draw the stored mojo out, and it helps you survive to kill the tech after the show.. Jeez people... :rolleyes:

• Members

Nope. I've seen them on his guitar(s) way before 10,000 Days. I saw them live on their Lateralus tour and he had it on then, as well.

Weird, I only saw it show up after "10,000 Days" so I assumed it was just a nod to the album art. I didn't know he had them on there before.

• Members

It's a mojo gem, and it stores extra mojo for the player to call upon in trying times.. Like when your tech hands you a guitar tuned to drop C instead of standard.. You draw the stored mojo out, and it helps you survive to kill the tech after the show.. Jeez people...
:rolleyes:

He doesn't tune to drop C. And he never runs out of mojo. Your argument is inane. So, BAM....you've been lawyered. :cop:

• Members

"Adam Jones famously uses the Silverburst Les Paul Customs made from 1978-1985, of which he owns five. His main Les Paul has a different headstock inlay, it appears to be a circular reflector of some sort, which covers the usual split diamond inlay Gibson Customs are known for. Gibson discontinued using this finish after complaints about the metalflaking changing the tone of the guitar, however Jones says that this altered tone is part of the draw for him."

I'ts just a mirror of some sort guys...

• Members

"Adam Jones famously uses the Silverburst Les Paul Customs made from 1978-1985, of which he owns five. His main Les Paul has a different headstock inlay, it appears to be a circular reflector of some sort, which covers the usual split diamond inlay Gibson Customs are known for. Gibson discontinued using this finish after complaints about the metalflaking changing the tone of the guitar, however Jones says that this altered tone is part of the draw for him."

I'ts just a mirror of some sort guys...

That information is wrong. It's clearly not an inlay. Justin has the same thing on his bass guitar and it looks like a freakin' motorcycle mirror that they just slapped on.

You can also clearly see the regular Les Paul Custom inlay underneath it.

• Members

I'm sitting beside you on the bus back home..
:rolleyes:

Me too. I don't care at all really. I just started this thread to lure suckers like you in so you can have an outlet to waste more of your precious internet surfing time. :rolleyes:

In fact, I care SO LITTLE that I made this response to show you just how much I don't care.

It's almost as if...wait for it...I could have just not said anything in the first place! :thu:

• Members

Frankly, I wish you hadn't.. Best of luck with that name dropping thing you think impresses people..
:thu:

I'm not name dropping. Both Adam's and Justin's emails are available to the public at Toolband.com, Toolarmy.com, Myspace, and on Facebook. In fact, all the band members have their contact information available.

So, way to waste more of your time. I don't pretend to know either of them. But, they sometimes respond to email questions on those sites.

This whole bickering thing is lame when you can't come up with anything better than these petty insults.

Your dick is bigger than mine. You can go away now.

• Members

Yay! Now this has gotten interesting...
:snax:

:) Such is the nature of internet forums.

It's like people who watch TV and yell at the screen: "Fuuuuuck yoooouuuu! I don't want to watch this show! AAaaaarhrhrhghgh I wish there was something I could do to NOT WATCH this!!!! Maybe...like changing the channel, or turning the TV off, or....or....murder/suicide."

Archived