Open Vs Closed back Cabinets

burton4snow

• Members

More articulate bass on closed back, deeper/flabbier/punchier bass on open back. (assuming same amount of power)

That's just my 2 cents, other more informed opinions may differ.

But basically the closed back air pressure creates a bit more restriction or control on the woofer cone.

So with more power, a closed back can have actually more punch since it's better focused, i.e less flabby on the lower EQ roll off frequencies.

• Members

More articulate bass on closed back, deeper/flabbier/punchier bass on open back. (assuming same amount of power)

That's just my 2 cents, other more informed opinions may differ.

But basically the closed back air pressure creates a bit more restriction or control on the woofer cone.

So with more power, a closed back can have actually more punch since it's better focused, i.e less flabby on the lower EQ roll off frequencies.

That's a pretty good description. I'll add to that by saying that an open back will have a more "live" sound.. thinner but brighter. Also, open back cabs will spread the sound around more AND let's not forget that it's easier to get FEEDBACK with an openback than a closed back.

Curious that the style of music pretty much dictates if the choice is open back or closed. For ex., you don't see too many blues players with closed back cabs. The opposite is true of Metal players, traditionally they shy away from open back cabs.. too MUCH feedback.

But when you get to as large a speaker configuration as a 4 X 12, chances are, they are going to be in a closed back cab.

CSMRaffleadv2-2.jpg

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2200682

• Members

Here is my situation I am getting a 1x10 cabinet for a Rajun Cajun speaker. I am going to be running a small watt head thru it. It will be played in a den the size of a small room. I like playing blues and rock. I am confused:confused:on whether to get a open or closed back cab. Please help!

• Members
Here is my situation I am getting a 1x10 cabinet for a Rajun Cajun speaker. I am going to be running a small watt head thru it. It will be played in a den the size of a small room. I like playing blues and rock. I am confused:confused:on whether to get a open or closed back cab. Please help!

We can't tell you what type of tone you like better.

• Members

We can't tell you what type of tone you like better.

I was just wondering if one was better for the area I am putting it in. I don't want {censored} to vibrate too much so maybe the open back is the way to go if you get more bass from the closed back. put mybe because i am using a 10 inch I need more bass. See my confusion. Blues and blues rock is the tone I am primarily going for. That greasy overdrive tone, the throaty growl, the tube sag.

Archived