Any experience with current Steinberger Spirit guitars?

nick fury

• Members

Does anyone here own one of the newer (non music-yo) Steinberger Spirits?

I pulled the trigger on a lefty GT Pro Deluxe, I've wanted one of them for a while and since they started selling them again, I decided to order it (from MF).

The first one I got had the bridge mounted off-center, so when used as a trem it would rub against the cavity, knocking the thing out of tune and basically making it useless, unless I was gonna use it strictly as a hardtail.

Alright, happens, I returned it. Now, over two weeks later I receive a replacement, and while it doesn't have the problem with the trem, the overall quality is just poor. The leg rest wobbles, theres plenty of spots around the edges where the finish is missing, and the headpiece if mounted off-center (not enough to make it unplayable, but it's bad enough that you can see it from a considerate distance).

Also, BOTH of them came with a right-handed tremolo bar.

Needles to say, I'm having a crappy new guitar day. I really like the design for a number of reasons, and I might be willing to give it one more try, but it's rather disheartening. This is zero quality control. Both the instruments should've been sold as factory seconds, or not at all. I would expect at least a little bit better from a $420 guitar made in Korea.

Sorry for the rant.

• Members

Maybe you can tell from my user name; I really like Steinberger type guitars and I've owned three of the Music-Yo Spirits (made in Korea), and really liked them.

But as I've been reading user reviews on the newest shipments of the (Made in China???) Spirits, I've been doubtful as to whether I might try one. The bump in price is also off-putting.

I guess there's a reason that people on ebay are asking higher-than-new prices on older Spirits.

• Members

haven't tried one... but a steinberger is high on my list of guitars to get... would be perfect for traveling with...

I've always thought a Stewart Stowaway would be the perfect travel guitar... the neck unclips off and stows inside the body. Looks like they use an ABM headless system.

Four-Colors-50-K.jpg

BlackStowApartBack.jpg

StowRedincase.jpg

• Members

Maybe you can tell from my user name; I really like Steinberger type guitars and I've owned three of the Music-Yo Spirits (made in Korea), and really liked them.

But as I've been reading user reviews on the newest shipments of the (Made in China???) Spirits, I've been doubtful as to whether I might try one. The bump in price is also off-putting.

I guess there's a reason that people on ebay are asking higher-than-new prices on older Spirits.

The new ones are still made in Korea, which is even more surprising, because I've never seen a Korean guitar with so many quality control issues. It's sad, really, I was really looking forward to getting this guitar, the design is great, the neck is fantastic, but the quality sucks. I'm still debating whether I should try my luck one more time with an exchange, but it really seems like the odds are against me.

Archived