METAL FLAKE SPARKLE GUITAR FINISHING?

cloud50

• Members

Hello,

I'm looking to find a custom shop or small shop that can take a guitar

and refinish it to a cool 70s metal flake or sparkle. I'm looking for the

big metal or sparkle flakes, kind of like glitter.

I"m looking for the high grade sparkle you see on drum sets. The kind of sparkle you can still see shine in the dark. I see plenty of the small sparkles, but I'm looking for that sparkle or metal flake you see on 70s rockstars coats, pants, etc. Glamour color. If anyone knows someone, send me links.

Thanks,

Cloud

• Members

i took a tele body to my local body shop and asked them if they could paint my guitar body. the guy said he would like to try since he never painted a guitar before. i told him if he did a good job that i could possibly have a few more customers come his way. he told me he would paint it and see how it comes out. he took me to a cabinet where he had all the extra cans of paint that he used on other cars. i chose a dark blue metalic and told him i'd like some flakes in the clear coat. he told me he could put some rainbow flakes in the clear that would sparkle in the sun and when stage lights shine on the guitar.

anyway....to make a long story short, he asked if i would like some flames added to the paint job...i told him to knock himself out. it took him 7 days from start to finish and he buffed it out and gave it back to me.

words cant describe how this guitar looks in person. all photos make the guitar look like the rainbow flakes look too big and gawdy, but it is fantastic looking.

he ended up doing it for free just to see how it would come out. i'm going to have him do another in a red with red flakes. he said the next one will cost $150 and an extra $50 if i want airbrushing.

flamecaster1.jpg

flamecaster2.jpg

i'm sure a bodyshop can paint big metalflakes or show you a lot of options to go with. if they never painted a guitar before, they may cut you a good deal just to see how one will come out. if you prep the body before they take it, all they have to do is prime it, spray it, clear it, buff it out. should take 5-7 days and it will be super durable and easy to care for. not like lacquer where it takes months to harden. good luck

• Members

But will the auto body shops know what there doing? It's a bunch of old fashion mechanics and shop guys around here. There nice people, but don't know if they can nicely take the finish off and put a sparkle on. It's worth trying and asking. That's a good idea.

Bluejames - thanks for the info

Funderbunk - thanks for info

I'd go up to $400 for an awesome job. I want it to shine in the light the same way a diamond does. Man they look cool.

• Members

But will the auto body shops know what there doing? It's a bunch of old fashion mechanics and shop guys around here. There nice people, but don't know if they can nicely take the finish off and put a sparkle on. It's worth trying and asking. That's a good idea.

Bluejames - thanks for the info

Funderbunk - thanks for info

I'd go up to $400 for an awesome job. I want it to shine in the light the same way a diamond does. Man they look cool.

Find an auto guy that does lots of custom work. He's spraying GALLONS a day, and they generally get pretty good at it. If he's familiar with pearls and metals ('tritones') he can do whatever you want.

• Members

Check out a paint shop that specializes in auto paints. The one near here (Ft. Worth) has a brand called House of Kolor that also has glitter and pearl flakes to mix in with the clear coat in whatever concentration you would want.

Archived