RIP Cyril Pahinui

Neal

• Members

He was a treasure. His dad would slack all the strings before he put the guitar away at night because these things were effing GUARDED! Cyril shared, he was part of the new wave of players offering and teaching his tunings. Exposed to agent orange in Vietnam, May have contributed to his death.

Anyway, playing and listening all day to a guy that played, no more new music from CP. RIP.

• Members

RIP, Cyril.

So, that's slack key. Never related "slackening" the strings to different tunings as "slack key". Of course, that's because I never looked it up. That said, I'm rarely in standard tuning. I'm slacked off to some other tuning. And here I thought I was being original (again) only to learn I'm following old Cyril and his pop. That's okay. I like it a lot better for the brain food it gives.

• Members

Sad. Always sorry to hear of a musician's passing. Unfortunate about the Agent Orange exposure too. Sadly, he wasn't the only one of his generation to be exposed. (I should really say "our generation" since he wasn't much older than I am.)

RIP, Cyril.

So, that's slack key. Never related "slackening" the strings to different tunings as "slack key". . . .

Same here. I never made the connection either. I play in Drop D occasionally and one song with the praise band in open C but that's about the extent where I'm concerned. He obviously had far more talent than I.

Archived