Acoustic/Electric Guitar Recommendations for School Band, Please!

Binkeys

• Members

Popping in from the keyboard forum...

A local school has asked me to lead a club for teens interested in playing in a band. They have a (small) budget for instruments, since some of the kids don't have their own, or can't bring them to school. One of the instruments they're asking me to pick up for the band is an electric/acoustic guitar. Can anyone here suggest some good options in the $300 and under price range? I'd like to help them keep costs down as much as possible, but want to make sure the kids are playing on good sounding/playing instruments, instead of struggling with something with poor workmanship, lousy intonation, etc.

Thank you!

• Members

I'll also agree with Yamaha but you should post this in the Acoustic sub forum (no insult intended to EG). The first priority with and A/E is that the A be good, then add the electronics. There are so many good PacRim guitars these days (Blueridge, Recording King, Eastman, Epi.....) that the best thing is just go to your local music store(s) and play everything. Shopping local may get you some good price breaks for a school program (my mom and pop store is very big on helping students and I do the setups for free).

Also most relatively inexpensive guitars will probably require some setup, be sure to budge that into your shopping.

• Members

Thanks for the advice, people! I've asked a friend who's a luthier, and he recommended the Yamaha's as well, so we'll go that route. He's also willing to help out with a setup if needed.

(I actually considered posting in the AG forum first, but when the post that shows up in the forum listings is something about how "there's no conversation anymore"...)

(I actually considered posting in the AG forum first, but when the post that shows up in the forum listings is something about how "there's no conversation anymore"...)

Which, paradoxically, is a discussion thread that currently stretches for six pages... :lol:;)

No worries - I think you got great advice here. Best of luck with the project, and good for you for helping the kids! :philthumb:

• Members

Lol, Phil. My experience here is with the Keys forum, which died a few years back when they kept turning the forums off, and a whole host of people migrated to other forums. I used to check in daily, and now it's more like once every couple of months, so I just assumed... That'll learn me. ;)

• Members
Thanks for the advice, people! I've asked a friend who's a luthier, and he recommended the Yamaha's as well, so we'll go that route. He's also willing to help out with a setup if needed.

You might have a look at used guitars, too. Sometimes you can find a deal on a better model, lightly used, in your price range.

-D44

• Members

If you do shop for used guitars be sure to include your luthier friend - there are a whole lot of things that can go wrong with acoustic guitars and often that is the reason they are being sold. Another possibility which I highly recommend is buying the best acoustic you can for your money and adding an after market pickup - I install both K&K and Fishman in lots of guitars - again if you have a luthier to help it will open some options.

Archived