Any Yamaha Pacifica 604W owners here?

AlexMC

• Members

I have a 604w.

Amazing neck. Little narrower then a Strat, but nice either way.

Don't play it much since I'm trying to find the best PU combo.

More, please!!

My Lite Ash Strat (Seymour Duncan APS-1 pups, maple neck) is just too sterile-sounding... I'm looking for something with more of a vintage sound - and a rosewood fretboard.

A decent bridge, locking tuners and graphite nut are a bonus.

The seller said:

Original rrp when it was bought 20 years ago was c.

• Members

I saw the link to the auction in the other thread. I love the color, the heel contour(very sleek!) and it may well be as mint as the guy says. This 604 might fit the bill for a more "straty" Pacifica than, say, a 812 that is more modern. I have a 904 like Flogger and it's a superlative instrument. While the 604 is in a different ballpark, they are siblings of sort and have some obvious similarities (four vintage sounding single coils, locking Sperzels). They probably have a very different neck profile: the 904 has a CHUNKY neck and the 604 more likely to have a typical Yamaha smaller one. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's your cup of tea. One aspect worth mentionning is that those are not the most common PACS around and if you miss that one, you'll wait a good while before another show up for sale and probably not in the same mint condition. The fact that it's older means no surprises down the road with neck warping, etc.

I'll be watching that auction. I'm curious how much it will fetch. Anything less than 250 pounds would be a steal, I think.

I doubt that the selling price 20 years ago was 500 pounds, though. Not saying the seller is lying but he may be misinformed.

• Members

Does the seller have a good record? Maybe he just doesn't know much about this guitar (like saying it has a humbucker in the bridge). One concern would be how he ships it if there is no case.

100% positive, lots of transactions. The more I think about this, the more I want it!

• Members

Alex, someone posted his 604 in the Yamaholic thread and pointed out to the bridge being different than a Wilkinson. I don't know about that stuff (maybe Flogger or Zenbu would) . It seems that the seller, having got this guitar second hand may not know any possible modding history and obviously didn't concern himself with it if it sat under his bed since he purchased it. The bridge's double single coils seems original (ring with two sets of screws is there) and the other pup seem to match. I also noticed the back plates don't match in color so the trem plate is probably a replacement (no biggie but worth mentionning). The good thing is that if he calls it mint, the body, neck and frets must be in really good shape. Maybe the earliest 604 had a different bridge but it could be asked to the seller if he knows about it.

• Members

Reply from the seller:

The description in the Blue Book of Electric Guitars p. 864 just says 'standard vibrato' for the 604W. I hadn't noticed the backplates being different. I am not aware of any other mods. I bought the guitar as a one previous owner item I can conatct the seller for more info if you wish. Cheers.

• Members

Reply from the seller:

Quote: The description in the Blue Book of Electric Guitars p. 864 just says 'standard vibrato' for the 604W. I hadn't noticed the backplates being different. I am not aware of any other mods. I bought the guitar as a one previous owner item I can conatct the seller for more info if you wish. Cheers.

Nice of him to respond. One question would be: do you intend to use the trem much? if not, you would simply block it and it would still do the job of intonating the guitar and... be a bridge.... Things like neck profile, fret wear, resonnance and general condition are probably more what will affect your enjoyment of it. The guy is not getting a ton of money for it so, considering that, he's being rather helpful. This is a guitar that is valuable for its quality and utility, not for "originality" and collector's value. My bet is that it works really well as it is. Good luck!

• Members

Quote:
The description in the Blue Book of Electric Guitars p. 864 just says 'standard vibrato' for the 604W. I hadn't noticed the backplates being different. I am not aware of any other mods. I bought the guitar as a one previous owner item I can conatct the seller for more info if you wish. Cheers.

Nice of him to respond. One question would be: do you intend to use the trem much? if not, you would simply block it and it would still do the job of intonating the guitar and... be a bridge.... Things like neck profile, fret wear, resonnance and general condition are probably more what will affect your enjoyment of it. The guy is not getting a ton of money for it so, considering that, he's being rather helpful. This is a guitar that is valuable for its quality and utility, not for "originality" and collector's value. My bet is that it works really well as it is. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm a mild trem user. SRV-type shimmer, etc. He's answered my questions very promptly and comes across as very genuine and a good seller.

As I said, I've entered my max bid and am currently the highest bidder. I shall leave the rest to fate!

• Members

More, please!!

My Lite Ash Strat (Seymour Duncan APS-1 pups, maple neck) is just too sterile-sounding... I'm looking for something with more of a vintage sound - and a rosewood fretboard.

A decent bridge, locking tuners and graphite nut are a bonus.

The seller said:

Sounds promising, but 20 years old? Can that be right?

I had a lite ash strat and believe the sterile sound to be in the wood, not the pickups. I personally don't like the sound of ash, cuts the mids too much. Great highs and lows but nothing inbetween.

• Members

Yeah, I'm a mild trem user. SRV-type shimmer, etc. He's answered my questions very promptly and comes across as very genuine and a good seller.

As I said, I've entered my max bid and am currently the highest bidder. I shall leave the rest to fate!

It will go higher with certainty. But that's fate... :)

• Members

The Pacifica 604 came first, with a 904 style bridge, and we thought it was near perfect, except for the neck profile that was a bit dinky, but most Pacificas had the same neck, so............

The 604W came two or three years later, with the Wilkinson bridge.

• Members

The Pacifica 604 came first, with a 904 style bridge, and we thought it was near perfect, except for the neck profile that was a bit dinky, but most Pacificas had the same neck, so............

:thu:

• Members

That's really useful, thank you!

Archived