Westbury Guitars Anyone?

DaveGrima

• Members

Anyone ever hear of Westbury guitars? I found one in a music shop here that was really neat. It was basically an SG body shape with bevelled edges, an all maple body with a set maple neck finished with a clear laquer.. It has 2 chrome humbuckers and LP Junior style wraparound bridge. It played and sounded really nice and felt like a solid, well made guitar. I looked up WEstbury on the net, not alot of info. Apparently they were owned by the Univox company and made from 1978-1982 in the legendary Matsumoku guitar factory in Japan. I cant find any info on specific models at all. ANyone ever hear/play one of these? Ill go back tommorow and get a picture of it.

• Members

Don't know them, but Unicord (Westbury, NY) distributed them. Unicord was the distributor of Marshall and Univox at the time. They also had a line of Westbury amps endorsed by Mickey Marcello of The Good Rats.

• Members

What you're looking at is a Westbury Performer. They came out in about '77. I found one just like the one you looking at in a pawn shop about a year ago for $40. It's worth about $200 or so. They didn't know what is was.It a really well built guitar for the money.:)

• Members

What you're looking at is a Westbury Performer. They came out in about '77. I found one just like the one you looking at in a pawn shop about a year ago for $40. It's worth about $200 or so. They didn't know what is was.It a really well built guitar for the money.
:)

Wow $40? Ya theyre asking $200. If i could get em down to $100. . .

Thanks for the Info.

• Members

Ya this is the only picture I found on the web.

The one I saw has a really light natural finish on it tho and it doesnt have the Bddass bridge. If I got it I would repaint it black and put a Baddass on it as well. I guess these had Dimarzio Super Distortions in em. If I could get this thing for really cheap Im gonna snatch it up for sure.

• Members

I had several Westburys at one point before my big sell off (see that other thread). There was a guy re-starting a new Westbury company, his name was Charlie, and I sold six of mine to him. He was buying the older ones I guess as a template for new versions. However, I am not sure the new company really got off the ground. He was a really nice guy, and he was buying Westburys like crazy.

• Members

OK i just read the reviews for it. 4 outstanding reviews and it defintely has Dimarzios in it. PAF in the neck, Super D in the bridge. Im officially stoked. Its not just me,this guitar is an unknown gem. Im gonna get it. This will be the oldest guitar Ive ever had by far. My first "vintage" guitar. :D

• Members

Don't know them, but Unicord (Westbury, NY) distributed them. Unicord was the distributor of Marshall and Univox at the time. They also had a line of Westbury amps endorsed by Mickey Marcello of The Good Rats.

They made pedals too, I LOVE this one.

westbury_05_002.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Members
Saw your post. yes I have a westbury. double cutaway' date=' semi-hollow, tiger maple. beautiful. modeled after the gibson 355. plays great. I'll post a picture when I get home later[/quote']

Since this thread is nearly two years old, I doubt it matters. Still, post pics of your Westbury if you want. We like pics.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Anyone ever hear of Westbury guitars? I found one in a music shop here that was really neat. It was basically an SG body shape with bevelled edges' date=' an all maple body with a set maple neck finished with a clear laquer.. It has 2 chrome humbuckers and LP Junior style wraparound bridge. It played and sounded really nice and felt like a solid, well made guitar. I looked up WEstbury on the net, not alot of info. Apparently they were owned by the Univox company and made from 1978-1982 in the legendary Matsumoku guitar factory in Japan. I cant find any info on specific models at all. ANyone ever hear/play one of these? Ill go back tommorow and get a picture of it.[/quote']

Hey people, I just surfing the web letting people know that Westbury Guitars is indeed back in business. Check out the site http://www.westburyguitars.com all the specks from the old models are on the site under "Vintage Models" as well as the new Rival Series-22 (RS-22) Enjoy...

Archived