Gibson 50's vs 60's neck for new player - does it matter?

LGK_Dude

• Members

I'm a new guitarist of average hand size (5'10" tall; can measure my hand if helpful) and when I play different guitars like a Gibson 50's rounded vs 60's classic neck, or even a Fender Strat or a PRS, it seems the neck size doesn't make a huge difference in my playing. Of course I can feel one neck is thinner than the other, etc but I play it for 5 min and I'm ok; I seem to adjust fine.

However, being a beginner guitarist (only been playing a few months) I'm unsure if this is just because I'm new and dont really understand / appreciate the differences between neck cuts? I mean, I'm only mainly playing barre & basic open chords, not doing anything complex yet, so perhaps the nuances are lost at my skill set?

I guess I'm asking, does neck size matter at this point? For example, should I "settle" on a Gibson with a 60's neck that doesn't look as sharp hoping that it might be beneficial for my average hands when I finally learn more advanced guitar techniques? I have my heart set on a Gibson Studio Deluxe, and the ice tea burst is my finish of choice, but it only comes with a 50's rounded neck. Should I trade it in for a Vintage or Cherry burst that has the 60's neck, which oddly enough are also heavier guitars? Ultimately its not about the finish, its about making music.

Frustrating not knowing much about guitars yet, but I guess we all start somewhere. Thanks in advance for the help and replies.

• Members

I can go back and forth between the two without much concern, but then again, I'm far from being a good shredder.

But I'd still recommend the '60s style. They are still plenty "chunky" enough and you should learn to put your thumb on the back of the neck for some fretting styles. The thicker neck opens your hand a bit more which can affect the angle of attack of your fretting fingers. For a lot of stuff, like "cowboy chords" the neck thickness is not that big of a deal, but I just think that the slightly slimmer neck profile of the '60s neck is a bit more ergonomic for your hand. OTOH, I sometimes will select the thicker neck for tone issues. Whether real or imagined, I sometimes hypothesize that a thicker neck will absorb a bit less string energy and transmit more of it to the guitar's body. I made that decision, for example, when I purchased an ES-339.

That's just my 2 cents worth. wink.gif

• Members

When I started playing I was completely ignorant about neck shape/size. As a result, I could give a {censored}. It still cracks me up when guitarists(some of them friends of mine) freak out about a neck being too chunky or too thin...I'd say don't give it another thought and you'll be fine...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

When I started playing I was completely ignorant about neck shape/size. As a result, I could give a {censored}. It still cracks me up when guitarists(some of them friends of mine) freak out about a neck being too chunky or too thin...I'd say don't give it another thought and you'll be fine...

Well, for some of us older guys, the neck profile DOES make a difference, as arthritis and soreness can be a concern redface.gif. Otherwise, for a newer player, it should not make any difference - at least not for quite awhile.

• Members

If it doesn't bug you one way or another, then it doesn't bug you. Find a guitar you like and go with it.
You will develop a taste one way or another a time goes by. Your taste may end up being "I don't care what the neck size is" and that's fine. A guitar's fit is like a pair of shoes. Nobody but you can tell if it fits or not.

• Members

it only matters to internet people.

when I gigged alot, 2-3 bands at the same time I didnt know anything about guitars and couldnt care less. Now I can tell hundreds of an inch by the feel , lol/

to answer your question the 70s Tributes (SG, V, LP) have a 70s profile which is 60s down low and 50s up top=best of both worlds

• Members

Go with what feels right.

In my teens I ignored the "go with what feels right" idea and was stuck on super slim necks for shredding...ala ibanez wizard necks, etc. Steve Vai, Satriani, etc.
15+ years later I prefer med to thick neck profiles. I get hand fatigue with my ibanez and other slim necks.

On a side:
The new Gibson Midtown I got surprised me because it is advertised as a slim taper and I was wary of purchasing. But the profile overshadows the taper is still round and full enough to stay comfortable. Ultimately, this is an example of having to try it before deciding and not reading too much into product description and specs.

To your original question I dont think learning "more advanced guitar techniques" will be hindered or promoted by a specific neck selection. Could be a power of suggestion thing, i.e. slim necks = fast playing but that only goes so far. Ultimately if the neck feels right I would imagine this more important to promote your enjoyment and dedication to improving.
Your best bet is to go into a shop and A/B the two guitars your self (50s vs. 60s neck) and the decision should be easy from there.

• Members

You likely have an average size hand and fingers. Most guitar necks are made to fit the average hand size. If you had a really small hand and narrow fingers, you would likely find a narrow, slim neck more comfortable and easy to fret. If, on the other hand, you had a large hand with sausage fingers, you would likely find a wide neck easier to play.

• Members

Thank you all very much for the replies! I'm learning a lot on these forums, and really appreciate the feedback / input / expertise you all bring to the table!

Before deciding to keep my 50's neck gibson I will give it another go at a guitar center against a 60s neck version, but in all honesty I did this when picking out the guitar and didn't really notice a difference. I think you guys are right - if it doesn't matter to me now why worry about it and just play! Easy to forget that sometimes, for me at least. facepalm.gif

Archived