How to record myself playing along with youtube vids?

eti

• Members

OK, this is something I can figure out for myself, but I'm hoping there is a simpler way to accomplish this. I've been playing along with youtube videos and I want to record the results. The way I currently do it without recording anything is: computer headphones-out to aux-in on my vox mini3, I then listen via the headphones-out on the vox. I can easily play videos, adjusting video volume on my Mac, and guitar + mix volume on the vox. Easy peasey, so far.

Now, how do I record this? I'd like to involve no more than 1 additional component. I'd like to think I could just plug headphones-out from vox into my computer and record a mix there, monitor via the computer headphones jack, but I don't know if that's possible, preferably using free software. Is it doable?

If I have to involve more equipment, I do have an audio interface for my Mac. I also have a mini mixer, and other devices I could record with, and if that's the way to go, so be it. I definitely don't want to use, say, a mixer AND an audio interface and another recording device. That's too much junk I can't fit on my already cluttered desk.

Oh, I'm not going to mic my amp, in case anyone was about to suggest that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have a smartphone or tablet? If so, I'd use that to play the video, then use your computer to record the combined sound of the video and your guitar from the Vox. Don't want to mic the amp? Use the headphone out and feed it to the line input on your Mac or PC interface. Watch the levels - it might be way too hot, so start with it really low / off, then gradually raise the level from there. Monitor via the computer's headphone jack.

• Members

Audacity is available for Mac and it is free.

One thing I do with Reaper and a MacBook is set the system audio output to headphones so that the audio from YouTube will come out the headphone jack. I set Reaper's audio input to be the MacBook's built-in Input. I then use a cable with stereo 1/8" mini phone plugs on each end to connect the computer's headphone output to the built-in input. This can be a bit tricky because of the potential for a feedback loop so I am careful to make sure the track I'm recording in Reaper is not set to monitor it's input. (If I'm using an audio interface I will set Reaper's output the interface).

The setup allows me to record the audio from the video on a stereo track in Reaper and then I can record my guitar on a separate track in Reaper.

You could use Audacity to do the same thing I'm doing with Reaper.

Once you have the audio from the video recorded you can remove the cable that connects the computer's audio output to input and plug your guitar amp into the computer's input. It's a bit more involved than Phil's solution but I like it because it allows me to have a dedicated track for the guitar in case I want to do any editing or additional processing to the guitar and it allows me to punch in if I need to.

If I haven't made this clear, please feel free to ask any specific questions and I will try to clarify.

• Members

DAW programs wont recognize built in sound cards running windows drivers. You really need an interface that will run ASIO drivers to do anything worth while. and any kind of multi tracking is out of the question with a windows sound card even if you can get the DAW program to recognize it.

I'd suggest getting an inexpensive interface. Behringer makes them with RCA inputs for around $20 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-NEW-Behringer-U-CONTROL-UCA222-USB-Audio-Interface-Adapter-in-Box-AL-/261644292852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ceb3712f4

. Lexicon makes a full interface for recording direct for under $50. I saw one sold on EBay for $20 yesterday. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Audio-Music-recording-Interface-for-microphone-guitar-/221733359211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a0568e6b

Once you have the interface and daw program, its simple to record. Just plug in any guitar boxes you have an jam. Some DAW programs will let you import videos. Then you can just record your new track and mix them together, or even replace the videos audio track with your own guitar part. Then you can burn the video down to a DVD and play it back on the TV with your own playing on there.

If you don't want to go the computer route, then get a stand alone recorder. Even the hand held ones with built in mics produce great results. You just need to be sure it will record from an aux input, and then its just a matter of getting the right connectors. If you want to get fancier, get something like a Boss or Korg that has multiple tracks.

You can then take the line out from your computer, plug it in, and take your guitar plugged in and record both the You Tube and your live guitar at the same time.

Same thing with a hand held. Since the hand held has built in mics, you could use those to record the amp and use the line in from the computer to record the You Tube.

Another option. Have an old cassette recorder around? Plug the computer line out into the recorders line in on one channel, connect the amps line out to the other channel. You may be able to use a high gain pedal direct too if its has some volume boost. This will work but of course you need to feed the thing tape which is getting hard to find now. I'd suggest going digital.

• Members

Get a vhs camera and a tripod, or ask your old lady to hold it. Turn on youtube, find the kiss song you want to play leads over, press play. You could work out a signal so your wife presses record on the camera at the same time. Or just do that in editing later.

• Members

OK, I worked out something using a couple 1/8" stereo patchcords, similar to what onelife described.

Computer headphone jack out to vox aux in, vox headphone jack out to computer line in. Play backing track on youtube and hit record on audacity.

Unfortunately I can't find my headphone splitter so I couldn't hear this proof-of-concept recording as I made it. lol.gif

http://picosong.com/VzS2/

Not too horrible, and shows the promise of things to come.

• Members
OK, I worked out something using a couple 1/8" stereo patchcords, similar to what onelife described.

Computer headphone jack out to vox aux in, vox headphone jack out to computer line in. Play backing track on youtube and hit record on audacity.

Unfortunately I can't find my headphone splitter so I couldn't hear this proof-of-concept recording as I made it. lol.gif

http://picosong.com/VzS2/

Not too horrible, and shows the promise of things to come.

You said you do have an audio interface for your Mac. You could use that and setup Audacity to use it as the playback device (you still want the system audio output to be the built-in output on your Mac) and listen to that as you record. You would also have to set Audacity to Playthrough: Listen while recording or monitoring new track.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

How about opening both system audio and mirophone sound on your computer? As long as your computer is built with supported input device, you can get the playing sound involved. Here I know such a high quality screen recorder, named Joyoshare Screen Recorder. Maybe you can have a try!

Archived