Carvin Speaker Package...the RX1200-1562

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by eddieharver

I am a one man band...my old peavey system blew...I wouldn't mind buying a packaged system...but where are the other deals...I see makie and peavey systems but for the price I see nothing to compare

What was your old Peavey system? I'd definitely put most Peavey stuff at or above Carvin.

• Members

Ok,I looked it up since you didn't provide a link. Do you need that many channels for a solo thing? I think everyone here will agree that those speakers are dreadful. Most bottom-feeder dual 15" 2-ways are horrid choices for anything unless you want mud for tone. Any reason you would choose them? How about a pair of C-V PSX153's(PSSL is practically giving them away) and then a suitable mixer/amp. That Carvin would be ok. Yam,Peavey,and a few others would be good choices too. And used you can maximize your dollar.

• Members

eddie,

That would make a great system, but you may want to consider the RX1200-PM15 seing as though are a "one man band", It might be a bit more portable.

Here is the link:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=RX1200-PM15&CID=SYS1

Here is link to a picture of my Carvin speakers.

http://www.surveysaid.com/DC-Room/Room-1.jpg

P.S. I think the PM15 speakers are very good for the price.

• Members

By the way, I just noticed it comes with the Pro Package 3....

RX1200-PM15 - 1200w 12 ch system

RX1200-PM15 - 12 ch 1200W mixer/two molded PM15 15" 2-way speakers RX1200 12ch stereo 1200W powered mixer. Two PM15 15" high powered 2-way molded speakers. Two PH50 high current 50'''' speaker cables.

FREE PRO KIT 3

with purchase

• Members

Originally posted by Smitty-PNS

By the way, I just noticed it comes with the Pro Package 3....

RX1200-PM15 - 1200w 12 ch system

RX1200-PM15 - 12 ch 1200W mixer/two molded PM15 15" 2-way speakers RX1200 12ch stereo 1200W powered mixer. Two PM15 15" high powered 2-way molded speakers. Two PH50 high current 50'''' speaker cables.

FREE PRO KIT 3

with purchase

• Members

elephantman,

I think your probably right...(good eye)

For a one man band the 1200-1584 would be portable and have good intelligibility with the 3-way setup. Also have plenty of volume for most situations.

The 1562 would be louder, more bass, but not as good midrange vocals.

But I am just surmising.

• Members

Originally posted by elephantman

I'd have to think that the 1584's would be better speakers for your needs. That pkg is the same price.

I disagree. They may sound better, but he's going to want to get the speakers up in the air. Although it's doable, at 68 pounds getting those puppies up on 6 foot stands by himself wouldn't be easy. I'd think in the Carvin line the PM 15s would be better.

That seems like way too much mixer for a one man band though.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

... at 68 pounds getting those puppies up on 6 foot stands by himself wouldn't be easy. I'd think in the Carvin line the PM 15s would be better.

That seems like way too much mixer for a one man band though.

Probably true (I didn't notice whether he said he was going to put them on stands). The PM 15 might be a better choice.

It may be too much mixer if that's all he's ever going to do with it. But if he's any thing like me he may want to be open for other things. I tend to plan for (probably too many) other scenarios and tend to over buy a little bit.

• Members

eddie,

I just found this on the Carvin Museum BBS (not associated with the Carvin Corporation).

http://forums.carvinmuseum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4791

Here is the initial posters comments....

The 1584s are the best addition a PA can get!! Mine have been through hell and back with no probs.The "best 4 the money" does'nt apply--they are the best!!Iv'e owned JBL,Mackie and there great speakers,but there only 2 way and over twice the price!!There so "studio clear" i use them for my home stereo and surround sound for my television!! Barry

• Members
Originally posted by Smitty-PNS

eddie,

I just found this on the Carvin Museum BBS (not associated with the Carvin Corporation).

Here is the initial posters comments....

The 1584s are the best addition a PA can get!! Mine have been through hell and back with no probs.The "best 4 the money" does'nt apply--they are the best!!Iv'e owned JBL,Mackie and there great speakers,but there only 2 way and over twice the price!!There so "studio clear" i use them for my home stereo and surround sound for my television!! Barry

I love all those little snippets that they put in their catalogs from so-called customers! Soooooooooooo believable!

• Members

I started with a Carvin system for solo acoustic stuff. The PA620 / 805 speakers. I think the mixer is a good deal but the speakers were lame. Piezo tweeters. I "upgraded" to the PM15's and i thought they sounded pretty good... until I got my EVsx100's that I planned on using as monitors. They sounded much clearer and 10lbs lighter, and I'm sure if I got a pair of EAW's I'd think the EV's sounded lame. It's all what you're used to hearing, and comparing to. I have since sold the PM15's, moved my Ev's to mains and got a pair of the new ZX1's for monitors and I'm happy as a clam... for now. I guess what I'm saying is if I had done what people here recommended in the first place I'd have saved quite a few dollars on speakers I don't use and can't sell (PS. for sale: 1 set Carvin 805's... cheap, 1 set Yamaha AS310's... cheap. Get my drift?)

Actually for solo stuff like you describe I'd lean more toward the PA620 with a good 12" speaker like the EVsx100 or Yorkville NX350. I don't know how old you are, but at 48 those PM15's were getting to be a pain hoisting up on stands by myself.!;)

But... I will agree they sounded as good a the JBL Eons when I listened in a blind taste test. Doesn't say much for the EONS in my opinion.

• Members

tlbonehead,

Quote:

I love all those little snippets that they put in their catalogs from so-called customers! Soooooooooooo ______________________________________________________

Is this what you were referring to? (about made up snippets) Author appears real and believable to me but I could be "being suckered...."

http://forums.carvinmuseum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9645

• Members

Since I have signed up here I have learned alot. I do want a larger mixer than I need because I do want to leave the option open to bigger things. There is one thing I do need to know...what is the difference between 2-way and 3-way (and so on) speaker. I can assume the higher the "ways" the better the speaker...but why is it?

Archived