Guys... JV 1080... yay or nay??

Gus Lozada

• Members

I have a JV1010. If I had spare cash I'd get a 2080 because it looks more bad-ass and has a hotter output. The JV rack synths are nice, I love the presets, and now that people are getting more into software, people are ditching rack gear for cheap...your gain!

Guest Anonymous

The JV-1080 has a small screen which makes Perform mode and editing fiddly just like a XV-5050. This is why I went with the JV-2080 and XV-5080. Enjoy.

:cop:

• Members

I think it is a good deal. There have been discussions that the 1080 has higher quality DACs than the 2080. If nothing else, you may be able to turn a 50% profit on it by reselling. I think it would be a nice backup utility box to have in the arsenal.

• Members

no way. This is the less desirable JV model. Also, it doesn't worth almost anything without expansions. If you want a JV, please search for a 2080 or higher, with at least a few worthy expansions.

I don't think it's the less desirable JV. Imho the JV-1080 is the classic module of the '90s. There are plenty of "less desirable" JV models and I would choose a 1080 before a JV-30, JV-35, JV-50, JV-80, JV-90, JV-880, JV-1000 or JV-1010.

At the current

• Members

I'm still using mine. They have become a classic, and you will still see them in the gear lists of pros.

This older type display doesn't go dim over time apparently. Mine still looks pretty bright. But check the functionality of the dial, which pushes in as well as turns. They do go bad on these guys.

If this one doesn't pan out don't sweat it. They are literally everywhere and I've often seen them locally for under $200, so I'm not so sure you are even getting a steal on it.

• Members

A have a JV2080 fully loaded (9 expansions) I all I can say - this is one of the most powerful units in my studio. I had a JV1080 before, with 4 expansions, and having the large screen of the JV2080, cleaner sample reproduction and 9 expansions makes it the ultimate romper for me at the price range. Having a "naked" JV in my opinion is pointless, no matter for how much. Getting the expansions separately will make it cost triple (or more) than those 200$. So my opinion is that it is better to look for loaded units for a few more bucks, rather than naked ones.

• Members

A friend is desperate and offering one for... hell... 200 bucks!!

... I know, for that price I'd even re-buy a Korg M1 or Ensoniq SQ1
:D
... but... not sure... go for it? ... say "no thanks" and try to find yet another bargain?

Tell him - no thanks, add $100 and buy a real synthesizer, a XV-5050. It is the first Roland (post Super JV) series that offers complete waveform set at 44.1kHz and 44.1 engine. So it is possible to fully emulate Roland JD-990 with XV-5050 - only difference is the filter, but all the waveforms and effect Section-A from the JD are in the 5050. It is also fully compatible with Super JV series and JV series - it will load their patches. Fantom isn't backward compatible.

My first real synth was JV-1080, back in 1995. Everything i know today, I've learned there, cause i couldn't afford a sampler at that time. Nice synth, but the XV engine is simply superior in every aspect so go with the 5050. As of high-end, don't worry you can always close the EQ and get original "1080-sound". Difference is $100 (!!!) only.

BTW this is my favorite synth line, so if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. I can program a JV-1080 without actually being in front of it - a piece of paper and a pen is enough. And i'm not f'ckin' kiddin'. :)

Than you guys for the replies!

Don, I was looking for an aswer like that: "add a 100 more an get XXXX". Sounds good!

... the only problem would be to get a bargain like that in Mexico. I'll let you guys know what happened in the end.

(I'd get it and then re-sell it! that would get me at least another 200 or 300 more and then buy a bigger thing)

• Members

The producers I know in LA all prefer the sonic quality of the 1080 over the 2080. Those with 2080s bought them for the extra JV-80 board slots.

Usability on the 1080 isn't that much clunkier than the 2080, as long as you stay in Palette mode.

Of course, the 5080 is the Roland ROMpler to beat. I like it better than the Fantom XR.

Or the JD-990, if you want to call it a ROMpler.

Come on. Shipping from states to mexico is what... 40 bucks?

;)

In regular mail, maybe.

But it will NEVER get here. You know... it can get "lost" somewhere. God bless mexican postal service :lol:

So, you have to pay a dedicated international freight and then it might be anything between 50 and 200, PLUS import fee... which summed, doubles the price of the module.

• Members

The producers I know in LA all prefer the sonic quality of the 1080 over the 2080. Those with 2080s bought them for the extra JV-80 board slots.

Usability on the 1080 isn't that much clunkier than the 2080, as long as you stay in Palette mode.

Of course, the 5080 is the Roland ROMpler to beat. I like it better than the Fantom XR.

Or the JD-990, if you want to call it a ROMpler.

I'm with him. I wouldn't pass up a mint JV-1080 because I'm a fan of the sound but I wouldn't put it up against a 5080.

Had 3 Fantoms and didn't care for any of them.

• Members

I've bought synths twice to find out they weren't for me but, you got with three times.

:wave:

Fantom S

Fantom X

Fantom XR

Owned all of them. Sold all of them. I would still rather have a mint JV-1080 with Session and Special FX boards loaded.

• Members

Also, it doesn't worth almost anything without expansions.

By "worth" do you mean musically or financially?

I lusted for a JV1080 for years when they were $1395. Finally bought one when the price dropped to $700. I've bought several expansion cards, but the original patch set still has some wonderful sounds, IMHO. In particular, I love many of the swirling, sparkling, and breathy pads.

I am currently working on some video demos of the JV1080, and rediscovering it in the process.

Archived