Roland JP-8000 vs nord leads

funk5

• Members

I already own a JP-8000, and haven't ever gotten a chance to play any of the lead series. In particular I was thinking about the lead 2, before they switched to 24 bit dac. I'm thinking of selling the JP in favor of a nord lead 2. Although it's obviously subjective, is the sound of the lead better in terms of quality and sounding analog (I hear people always saying the leads have their own sound, not quite analog)? I think the MIDI implementation on the lead seems to be better, and the lead is 4-part multitimberal and easier to manage vs 2 on the jp and harder to manage. Not really sure though, what do you think?

• Members

I like the NL better but the JP is a great synth when you like the soft spoken sounds better. The filter is a little weak I think and I did not like the envelopes either. The NL has more of the spiky sounds I am used from the prophet, fast attacks, incredible modulation depth. It also has some unique features with the velocity/morph section, pitch stick, echo function, and so on. It is missing an effect section though.

However, this is just another personal opinion.

• Members

i am a previous jp owner and i still think that nords have no luck compared to jp's power....just to think that i got nords 2-3 times sold them and never missed them

There must have been a reason that you bought them 2-3 times, doesn't it?;)

• Members

i am a previous jp owner and i still think that nords have no luck compared to jp's power....just to think that i got nords 2-3 times sold them and never missed them for any reason ....but thats just me...

Wow... I would say the complete opposite- no question! I have a business partner who has offered to let me keep his jp at my studio and I don't want it! I have others I prefer and also would rather have his JX-3p and PG200!

I never got a nord either though I was very impressed- I have enough modelling synths already! But I would take a nord over a jp in a second! Of course just an opinion since they both sound good!

• Members

I have an origianl Nord Lead as well as a JP-8000 and don't think of one as a substitute for the other. I think the NL has a bit more of a raw sound to it and also is capable of some unique timbres that you can't get on the JP. I'd try and demo a Nord before selling off the JP to make sure it's the sound you're after. There's no way I could choose one over the other since they're such different sounds.

• Members

See if you can guess which one I like.

I'm gonna venture a guess that it's the Nord.

I haven't gotten my hands on a JP since around the time it came out (when you couldn't walk through Sam Ash without tripping over Nords, JPs, Waldorfs and OB-12s). I love my NL2X and don't ever see getting rid of it. I think the JP has a completely different character. I must admit that the synthmania.com audio demos have caused me to GAS over the JP recently. I think if you're into a lot of analog, the NL and JP would compliment each other perfectly!

• Members

is the sound of the lead better in terms of quality and sounding analog (I hear people always saying the leads have their own sound, not quite analog)?

I'd say that the sound of a JP-8000 is more "not quite analog" than a Nord Lead 2x. I don't own a JP-8000. but whenever I've played one it's filters remind me a lot more of my Roland romplers than my Jupiter-6.

If you change over you'll lose supersaw, chorus, and delay (if those are important to you). And a better keyboard... I don't like Nord Lead keybeds. But you'll gain a little more analog character... the sound of a Nord Lead 2x to me is like a Prophet 5- with very sharp teeth. If that appeals to you.

• Members

The JP and NL have a different focus.

Roland wanted to make a good synth based upon subtractive architecture.

Nord wanted to make a good emulation of an analog synth.

They both suceeded - upto you to figure out which is better for you.

My 2p worth for my kinds of music -

I would take a nord over a JP for most electro house type analog synth abuse noises (I actually use a Virus TI, Korg Radias and an SE ATC-X analog mono for this kind of thing).

I would take a JP80xx over a nord for most of the progressive house / trance type stuff that I do. (I actually use a V-Synth and a Virus TI for this kind of thing and very occasionally the Korg Radias).

• Members

If you can't get a searing lead sound out of a JP8000, it means

a) you don't know how to program

OR

b) you don't know how to play

OR

c) both the above.

I'll be the first to admit that the JP has its shortcomings.... but those are no excuse for not being able to what you need from it in many circumstances. I certainly would not ditch it in favor of the NL2. If I had one I might add the other, but I would not ditch either in favor of the other.

• Members

If you can't get a searing lead sound out of a JP8000, it means

a) you don't know how to program

OR

b) you don't know how to play

OR

c) both the above.

I'll be the first to admit that the JP has its shortcomings.... but those are no excuse for not being able to what you need from it in many circumstances. I certainly would not ditch it in favor of the NL2. If I had one I might add the other, but I would not ditch either in favor of the other.

I win category C. :p

• Members

Anybody know what synth that is in the OP's avatar?

Yep, that is my Memorymoog.

Not so sure about the Lead thing now. Thinking about an inexpensive polyphonic analog, along with an inexpensive monphonic analog.

Archived