Korg Micro-X discontinued?

swandiver

• Members

I was close to buying a Micro-X, but suddenly Musician's friend, Sweeetwater, Zzounds, etc. all say they are no long carrying the product. What gives? Has Korg discontinued it? If so, why? Not enough sales? Or (hopefully) a Micro-X version 2 is soon to be released? Anyone have any info?

Thanks and best,

Swandiver

• Members

yes it has been discontinued. they come up on ebay for about 400$. I don't think there will be a ver. 2. my best guess is that the format is what doomed it, not the synth. I've been begging for a microx based groove box in the style of the RMX1, but i dont think it will happen. :cry: I love mine though..

• Members

I love mine, but a problem that I and many others have had with these units is the wires connecting to the pitch/mod stick break off easy with heavy use and it makes the whole keyboard sound like it's being run through a odd pitch warble effect. Took me a month to figure out what the hell was wrong with my Micro X. It's not too hard of a fix if you open it up, but Korg should have been more vigilante on the flimsy wires and connector they used in this component.

• Members

For double the price you could get a used M3M, that's what I did and it's worked out great.

The MicroX was just too crytic with it's little editing joystick. I hated that thing. Fantastic sound, but the board itself is no good. You need the editor, which I didn't care to bother with, I rather have a software synth in that case.

Korg should do a Micro-Groove box, it's about time.

• Members

Besides excellent sound engine, there were some shortcomings:

- 2 Octaves

- Weak portamento, no smoothness

- Red display

- Quality of the board in whole, not very good.

But the sound itself... excellent.

I pretty much agree with that assessment. I have one and I absolutely love it. I'd always wanted a really small portable keyboard that was capable of more complex evolving sounds and motion pads for ambient music and the Micro X definitely has the sounds. I don't feel that the build quality is up to the usual Korg standards, and I would like a more readable display. But I can live with it's shortcomings. I often use it like a module and control it with a larger keyboard or midi guitar. I'm surprised that these didn't sell better. I think that if Korg would create a new model and implement some of the suggestions made here, they would have a winner on their hands.

• Members

No. TR-rack is the rack version of the trinity, which is a generation older than the Triton.

...with a duo of better sounding filters, IMHO :)

By the way, doesn't the X50 have basically the same samples in it, just different presets? Doesn't it have the same engine and sound quality and only cost $150 more when they were both available new?

• Members

...with a duo of better sounding filters, IMHO
:)

By the way, doesn't the X50 have basically the same samples in it, just different presets? Doesn't it have the same engine and sound quality and only cost $150 more when they were both available new?

No, the X50 and MicroX both have 64MB of wave data, but they share only 32MB.

• Members

Several times I've thought about selling my Micro X, but then I plug it in and start playing with it.... and three hours later I am STILL playing with it. Outside of the relatively weak pianos, it is just filled to the brim with great, usable, musical sounds. Lots of sparkling, swooshing, sweeping pads. Wonderful world/ethnic instruments, combined with plenty of Virus-like arpeggiated synth stuff. Tons of drum kits. Some of the biggest, most lush string pads I've ever played.

I always end up deciding I'd rather have my Micro X than the $400 or so I could get for it. (And I've also got a Motif and a Fantom XR.)

• Members

It was only $50 more. The microX was $649 new, the X50 $699.

• Members

Besides excellent sound engine, there were some shortcomings:

- 2 Octaves

- Weak portamento, no smoothness

- Red display

- Quality of the board in whole, not very good.

But the sound itself... excellent.

Korg is funny that way. They'll dance around getting something right just to protect the market for some other product. The Micro-X is a prime example, with its great sound but 2 octave keyboard and tiny barely visible display. The Micro-sampler looks to be the latest chapter in this story. :facepalm::facepalm:

I tried the Micro-X in the stores several times, and WANTED to like it (especially with the included molded case), but just couldn't bring myself to buy it. It's clear that they gave it diminished functionality to protect their workstation market. But when they do this, hardly anybody ends up buying the product, so why develop and release it in the first place?

If they'd just combine the technology and features of the EMX-1 and Radias/R3, it would be the synth to have, and everybody would want one. Add in the ROM set of the Micro-X, price it at $1395 ($1150 out the door) and people will be selling their left kidney on Craigslist to get one.

• Members

And imho, the more superior sounding.

Im sure others will agree, the Strings and Pads on that thing are quite simply exquisite.
:cool:

I agree. It can fill up the room with just one key pressed :D. The pads on this thing are just gorgeous. I'd still like a V3 keyboard version..

Archived