No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Rickeysound
    View Post

Seems strange that the doubler would cost more than the Harmony G - which also has a doubler built in.

now ya tll me arghhhhh

i paid 218 plus tax for it. still like it. i would guess that you can dial this double effect in with more tweakability than the harmony g thing?? is a fun unit but i'm getting into the overkill situation and find myself dialing the paramaters of the double back pretty far unless i am performing just for myself. I love the gratuitous overkill of it; being the 80's child that i am..

Comment

• I broke down and bought one for my Christmas present to myself. See what you mean about the overkill. Seems like the most useful settings are the most basic ones, which seem to creat a sound already attainable from the Harmony G doubling feature (although I've only had a chance to play with a little).

But in answer to the original question about whether the Double should come before the VL4 or after in the signal chain, the Double manual would seem to suggest after.

The manual gives an example of how to use multiple TC Helicon VoiceTone pedals and says on page 11 that if you were using the Double with the VoiceTone Correct (TCH's pitch correction) pedal, "VoiceTone Correct should be connected before Double." If one were using the PC on the VL4, the same reasoning would seem to apply.

(But the manual does say that if you were daisy-chaining the VT Create, it would come after the Double.)

Anyway, another interesting, overpriced toy while we all await the first company to combine all the great features of existing vocal effects stompboxes into one unit.
      Rickeysound
      http://www.thevynals.com

Comment

• oh wow, cool that you picked one up. it does seem to be a unit for the vocal effects person that has everything. sorry it doesn't do much more at this point than the harmony g. i will try putting the VL4 first then the double. good point on the PC. i have found that 81 is the most useable patch for just general use it on everything. and even then, i dial that far right knob from its preset 9 to 5 or 6. i recorded the same thing today using 01, 11, 21, 31 and 81, all were too gimmicky except 81... curious how you start liking it or not.

Comment

• i think am agreeing more and more. to have doubled voices warbling a bit here and there and THEN going to the pitch corrected VL4 seems like a recipe for disaster. was just recording some things and trying stuff. i'd like to know your realistic pitch correction settings

i've been doing chromatic

window 60

rate 30

amount 90

to me, that really smashes you right into the note, be it right or wrong even when you aren't off all that much. i've had it smash me to the wrong note which sounds simply awful but i think running the double into the vl4 has something to do with it too. i think that would confuse the hell out of the PC on the VL4... so curious, whats your PC settings?? my pc sounds good as long as you're totally on, then again, whats the point of PC then???? peace

Comment

• I stopped using all the effects, including the PC, on the VL4 after I started routing it into the Harmony G.

There's been a lot of discussion on this forum about the best PC settings. One of the stalwarts here (forget who it was - sorry), convinced me to go with:

window 99

rate 25

amount 99
            Rickeysound

Comment

• tried those settings, results were much better than my settings. still don't really understand the parameters but i like these better!. merry xmas all!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Rickeysound
                View Post

I stopped using all the effects, including the PC, on the VL4 after I started routing it into the Harmony G...

I stopped using PC altogether. I spent too much time on it. Never did understand the parameters or like the way it sounded. I currently use the HG which doesn’t have PC. I don’t even use PC on my PRO that I use for recording.

Keep in mind that you need to be close to the note in order for PC to work. If you’re too far off, PC will make you sound really bad. Use it with caution. Also, the PC on the VL4 and PRO is not the PC you find in professional studios. Theirs cost thousands and they have professional engineers that understand how to use them. I find a touch of reverb, a bit of compression is all I need.

PC was a big factor for purchasing the PRO, and it’s the one feature I no longer use. I’ll keep working on my voice instead of masking the imperfections with electronics. Besides, it’s those imperfections that make up the total quality of my voice. What would Johnny Cash or Neil Young have sounded like with PC? I like them just the way they are.

Enjoy the new year, and your voice.

David

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by HaloRecordings
                  View Post

I stopped using PC altogether. I spent too much time on it. Never did understand the parameters or like the way it sounded. I currently use the HG which doesn’t have PC. I don’t even use PC on my PRO that I use for recording.

Keep in mind that you need to be close to the note in order for PC to work. If you’re too far off, PC will make you sound really bad. Use it with caution. Also, the PC on the VL4 and PRO is not the PC you find in professional studios. Theirs cost thousands and they have professional engineers that understand how to use them. I find a touch of reverb, a bit of compression is all I need.

PC was a big factor for purchasing the PRO, and it’s the one feature I no longer use. I’ll keep working on my voice instead of masking the imperfections with electronics. Besides, it’s those imperfections that make up the total quality of my voice. What would Johnny Cash or Neil Young have sounded like with PC? I like them just the way they are.

Enjoy the new year, and your voice.

David

Pretty much agree with all that. Interestingly, the G manual says it has some slight pitch correction built in. I wouldn't be averse to using studio quality PC if they ever build that into a floor model vocal effects processor, but I can't really tell any difference between using or not using the PC on the VL4.
                  Rickeysound

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this forum doing research about vocal harmony processors and am glad I've found a great source of information and experience.

I play mainly small solo gigs with just my acoustic and my vocals.

I chanced upon a youtube clip of the harmony G and thought it a good product for me to use. having done more research and finding there's too many of the damn things to choose from, I think I've come down to the TCH Harmony G XT or the Digitech Vocalist Live 3D.

I like the stompboxy-ness of the G and the harmonies do sound great, but I also like the 3D as it will run off a midi signal too which I occassionally use for gigs but also would use for jamming plus its other extras.

What I'm after is some advice on choosing one. They're both around the same price to get off ebay and both offer similar stuff.

I've got a decent range and am a harmony freak by nature.

I play about 50% originals and the covers are acoustic versions of songs by bands/artists like (but definately not limited to)...

Colin Hay

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Crowded House

Talking Heads

the WonderStuff / Miles Hunt

plus a blend of stuff that people generally drink and sing along with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here or emailed to thevodkacircle@gmail.com

Thanks !

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by theVodkaCircle
                      View Post

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this forum doing research about vocal harmony processors and am glad I've found a great source of information and experience.

I play mainly small solo gigs with just my acoustic and my vocals.

I chanced upon a youtube clip of the harmony G and thought it a good product for me to use. having done more research and finding there's too many of the damn things to choose from, I think I've come down to the TCH Harmony G XT or the Digitech Vocalist Live 3D.

I like the stompboxy-ness of the G and the harmonies do sound great, but I also like the 3D as it will run off a midi signal too which I occassionally use for gigs but also would use for jamming plus its other extras.

What I'm after is some advice on choosing one. They're both around the same price to get off ebay and both offer similar stuff.

I've got a decent range and am a harmony freak by nature.

I play about 50% originals and the covers are acoustic versions of songs by bands/artists like (but definately not limited to)...

Colin Hay

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Crowded House

Talking Heads

the WonderStuff / Miles Hunt

plus a blend of stuff that people generally drink and sing along with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here or emailed to thevodkacircle@gmail.com

Thanks !

If you sit the entire time while playing or if you're only rarely going to be kicking in the harmonies, the Harmony G is a good product, but as discussed in this forum, the VL4 is the best product for ease of live use because of its non-latching pedal. Not really familiar with the 3D, but looking at it, it doesn't seem designed for effective live use. Good luck and let us know what you decide on and how it works for you.
                      Rickeysound

Comment

• The VL3D is a desktop unit that can also be used live (you could put it on the floor next to the 3 button footswitch). It was designed with the simpler is better idea. The controls are all easily reached, not through bulky menus like the VL4. It only has 5 memory presets, but each of those has an A and B setting, which I think is really cool (I wish the Pro had that option). You can attach a 3 Button footswitch to engage it live. It also takes midi note recognition, and with midi note recognition it will do 4 voices, opposed to only doing 2 with a guitar signal.

Review:

http://www.digitech.com/Review_pdfs/guitarist_vl3d.pdf
                        Tyler King
                        Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

-Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
                        .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
                        .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
                        -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
                        -Digitech GSP 1101
                        -Digitech Jam Man Looper
                        -Digitech Harmony Man
                        -Digitech Time Bender
                        -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
                        -Lexicon FW810S IO box
                        -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• [QUOTE=theVodkaCircle;38036431]...I think I've come down to the TCH Harmony G XT or the Digitech Vocalist Live 3D.

...[QUOTE]

I'm a soloist also. Keeping my gear small, lite and simple is very important. Don't know much about the VL3D but I do use the HG for both practice and live. I'll be using it tonight.

For simpicity, size and weight, the HG wins. It's also a tank. I also like the a/b function and seperate doubling. There's also 10 a/b user patches. I only use 3 (3rd u & 3rd u, 3rd d & 3rd u, 3rd u & 5th u). I always keep the doubler on.

Simple and sounds great.

Good luck

David

TC Harmony G

Ovation 1778 Elite

Fishman Soloamp

Audio Technica ATM710

Alesis SR16 Drum Machine

Mackie 402-VLZ3 mixer

Toshiba Laptop

Soundseat (goatta have a good seat)

Comment

• Anyone looking to buy a TC Helicon Harmony G that is just about brand new, let me know.I have 2 of them and not useing one of them anymore. For sale at $125.00.

Comment

• After using the harmony g in the shop, I was sold. Going to try it tonight at home. Sweeeet

Comment

• Can either the Digitech or TC track off say a Technics keyboard? My singer plays one and we need harmonies badly.

D

Comment

Working...
                                X