Greatest Individual Geniuses in Music 1960s on

myshkin

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My favorites have already been mentioned, but a few more that I think qualify for 'genius' (no particular order)

George Martin

Bob Dylan

Brian Eno

Daniel Lanois

Freddy Mercury

Brian May

Joe Walsh

Eric Clapton

Frank Zappa

Dave Gilmour

It's hard not to just list people you like - i think there has to be a special element to qualify as a genius. Being born with a great voice probably isn't genius. Developing a new sound or musical genre - genius.

• Members

I think Kiwi brings up a good point -- it's different than a "who do you like" and it's a difficult trick not to fall into that

A new approach, really perfecting a classic approach (how did J.S Bach put it "some usher in a new age others complete an age"), bridging two worlds...

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

I think Kiwi brings up a good point -- it's different than a "who do you like" and it's a difficult trick not to fall into that

A new approach, really perfecting a classic approach (how did J.S Bach put it "some usher in a new age others complete an age"), bridging two worlds...

Well the new aspect that wouldn't have come about otherwise is why I placed Syd Barrett and Kevin Shields so high for people with small outputs. Sonically very free compared to Dylan(much of which I love and certainly a genius), but in the area of pure sound the others are higher for me.

Peter Green of F Mac, another great loss.

I spose the boys from Kraftwerk must be mentioned.

And The Pixies combined.

And....

• Members

Kiwi: Les Paul did most of his innovating before the 1960's. That actually makes it more impressive IMO, but off topic for this thread.

For the 1960's forward, let us consider:

Pete Townshend

The second half of Miles Davis' career (as if he didn't do enough in the first half!)

Jaco Pastorius (another wasted talent - imagine if Jaco never met heroin)

• Members

I realise I will be severely castigated for this ...

I personally think Weird Al Yankovic is a true genius. I've followed his career for a few years now, and I am constantly amazed at the way he seamlessly fuses epic movies with epic songs, and retains enough of the original lyrics in highly inventive ways.

E.g. - Jurasic Park with McArthurs Park - it just works so well. Or Bevery Hill Billys with Money for Nothing.

His "Smells Like Nirvana" is sheer brilliance. Love the sampled cow.

"Bob" is the work of a genius. If you haven't caught this - it's a song, in the style of Bob Dylan, which is composed totally of palindromes. (Yes - Bob is a palindrome too). You know - "A toyota's a toyota" and other phrases that read the same forwards and backwards.

I think Al is an exceptional vocalist, because he can imitate or parody anyone - convincingly, while mercilessly pulling the piss out of them. To do that, you actually have to be as good, and as confident, as the original artist.

I'm constantly impressed with the production on his albums too - sometimes I think they sound better than the original. Yes - I know he uses every cheap trick in the book - but that's the genius of comedy.

Sometimes, I think we take music far too seriously. Wierd Al is my remedy for that. Laughter really is the best medicine.

Genius. And he plays a mean accordian and whoopee cushion.

• Members

Those ABBA dudes were right up there. I also think Mark Knopfler was/is a genius. Not just his guitar playing, but lyrics and overall musicianship.

I was going to say Elton John, but I would stop just short of calling him a genius. Highly gifted, but really it's the combination of him and Bernie together that constitute a genius team. I guess they are both geniuses in their own right.

I guess I should wave our national flag and say that Tim and Neil Finn are both geniuses.

Maybe i'm just listing people I really like. Music is such a subjective thing - what really moves and inspires one person might be totally lost on somebody else. Who can really say who is a genius? I guess it requires some advanced intellectual thought processes to come up with something profound. But sometimes these guys seem to come up with something profound without apparantly thinking too deeply about it.

I think Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore, and the rest of Deep Purple MKII are bona fide geniuses.

• Members

With a few exceptions, this list has been pretty white so far. Interesting considering most Western pop music is heavily blues and R&B based.

-Smokey Robinson

-Lamont Dozier

-Eddie & Brian Holland

-Barry Gordy

-Stevie Wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Marvin Gaye

-Isaac Hayes

-David Porter

-JAMES BROWN (probably the single most influential musician/songwriter in the last 40 years)

-George Clinton

-Kenny Gamble

-Leon Huff

Did anyone mention Phil Spector?

Archived