75 Hours in Tokyo!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderton
    replied
    <<Now anything else you could possibly 'hint' at without violating your NDA? Please, please????>>

Well...not really, sorry! Keep watching this space, after NAMM I can say as much as I want, and include a bunch o' photos, too.

Leave a comment:

• Anderton
    replied
    <<Did you ask Mr. Katoh why Korg insists on continuously repackaging a ten-year old synth engine>>

I think everyone knows that the AI synthesis engine is reaching its twilight. Suffice it to say that NAMM is only a few days away...keep your eyes on this space.

<<or why they can't seem to come up with a decent piano patch...even in the Oasys? >>

Well, I've never met a sampled piano that sounds like a real piano. That's why I don't use sampled piano in any of my recorded music unless it's for an "effect," like a "cheesy house piano" sound. On the other hand, I do know some keyboard players who love the OASYS piano, and when recorded in a track, it can sound extremely convincing...to each his own.

Leave a comment:

• cooterbrown
    replied
    Did you ask Mr. Katoh why Korg insists on continuously repackaging a ten-year old synth engine, or why they can't seem to come up with a decent piano patch...even in the Oasys?

Leave a comment:

• midi
    replied
    Wow, thanks Craig, i've been reading your columms in the mags for years and if anyone is my 'midi mentor' you are it!

Now anything else you could possibly 'hint' at without violating your NDA? Please, please????

Leave a comment:

• Dejavoodoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Anderton
    I can't resist this one. The controller for a new Korg product? No, this is the control panel for the toilet in my hotel room!

Where's the record button?

Way cool pics & report, Craig! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• gilbertopb
    replied
    Originally posted by dahkter
    Go for it Gilberto,
    If you can bend a spoon with your mind, no reason you can't shorten velocity of all notes by 50%...

LOL!!!

Bend a spoon is kinetic mind power. If someone can do this, can move the keys in the synth.

I understand such sequencer would sense aura variations, catch emotions, even voice inner expressions, and something so, no the eletric brain part as I have seen some machines trying to do.
    Human mind is not only chemical and eletric, this is hard to fix, and another direction should be explored.

Leave a comment:

• dahkter
    replied
    Go for it Gilberto,
    If you can bend a spoon with your mind, no reason you can't shorten velocity of all notes by 50%...

Leave a comment:

• gilbertopb
    replied
    As I think music is magic, and magic is a inner law of life, I would love to be in the develop team for the telepathic sequencer.

Leave a comment:

• dahkter
    replied
    Definitely send some more travelogue pics, really appreciate it, living vicariously through them (i woke up my wife last night to say "hey, that guy from the forums is in Japan at the Korg factory!") Very cool all around, spread the love....

One semi-OT thought regarding Korg, I would like for them to stay away from plastic casing on so much of their gear.
    I had the D16, nice multi track, but should have had a metal casing considering it cost a grand.
    Same thing with the MicroX, the pictures from Namm last year had me psyched, but then when I finally got my hands on one, it was like something from the 99cent store, incredibly cheap casing and keys....
    If they want to keep that museum going for the next thirty years, please tell them to stop making oil based hardware!

Great hearing from you Craig, enjoy the trip!

Leave a comment:

• Ara Ajizian
    replied
    Looks like an awesome time Craig! Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• gatorwing
    replied
    Thanks for the interesting trip report.

Brings back some memories; I lived in Japan for four years ('62-'66).

Leave a comment:

• FunkyLaptop
    replied
    Originally posted by Anderton
    I'm going to stop for now, before I accidentally post a new product shot and get into trouble

But I figured it was fitting to close with this shot of the OASYS display in their showroom. I was able to climb up to the next story and get a shot down on the showroom floor, and it conveys some of the drama of the display. I don't think I'm telling any secrets when I say that Korg is continuing to work on updates for the OASYS; the new products we were shown were not designed to replace or obsolete the OASYS.

Anyone else ready to sign up for Korg Oasys floor mats? Pimp my ride, indeed.

BTW, please tell the nice Korg people to invent the telepathic firewall before releasing the telepathic sequencer. I've been hearing those demo tracks for months.

Leave a comment:

• Still Learning
    replied
    Thanks for sharing the photos and commentary Craig. I enjoyed both.

Leave a comment:

• Anderton
    replied
    BTW -- I did get to go shopping for some CDs over there, my daughter is a huge J-pop fan. It seems CDs are still very valued over there, there isn't the same kind of "Death of the CD" vibe you get over here.

Leave a comment:

• Anderton
    replied
    Yeah, I really did. But you know I like to travel

Too bad I can't tell you about the...uh...never mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X