DVD+R or DVD-R ???

russrags

• Members

For doing Data Backups of my Pro Tools files and personal data backups ... which recordable DVD's .... DVD-R or DVD+R ???

For desktop PC use, I know I've used both, but a new batch of DVD+R's aren't working. I read all the info before buying, but it's quite confusing and not enough information.

Anybody know for sure which is best for this purpose???

Thanks,

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Observations:

-R seems to be more compatible video wise, but also more *reliable*... Of the off-brand discs I've used, it seems like +R's end up getting tossed more.

Another tertiary observation:

CompUSA and BestBuy are selling 50/100 bulk spindles of discs that are below acceptable quality. I've got two spindles, one from each, of blanks that 2 computers seemingly couldn't reliably write to or read after "successfully" writing.

Which is aggravating, because it seems like you can get some good ones now and then - but now I'm trying to stick with name brands (Memorex seems to be showing up cheap in bulk in my area)

/ $.10

• Members

DVD+R for data backup, DVD-R for video storage.

Be careful which brand you buy. I have had bad luck with Sony media, I'll never buy anything Sony again. Maxell and Imation make good recordable DVDs.

...and you know, only yesterday I had to throw away a MAXELL data CD (not DVD) because the "painted on" enamel label had blistered a wee bit, and parts of the silvery information layer had flaked away... I'd burned it in 2001. Just a hole about the size of your pinky thumbnail, and you're scrod: the disk player whirrs, scolds, sighs and clicks, but can never ID and load the disk... :mad: You've now got a Frisbee or coffee coaster.

• Members

If you want the good dvdr's and cd's look for made in Japan on the label, these are the ty yudens (sp?) The last time I bought non made in Japan dvdr's they were 16x and burned at 2x on my computer. I took them back and bought some MIJ's which were 8x and burned at 16x on my puter.

The MIJ's are hard to find but I've had the best luck finding them under the Fuji and Sony brand

• Members

Well, I always heard that the Taiyo Yudens were the best, but I got a 100 pack recently that wouldn't work at all with my NEC burner in my computer. Then I just got a Panasonic stand alone burner and they work perfectly with it so I think there's still a question of finding media that works with your burner well.

As far as + verses - I've read so much that it all seems to be running together but the impression was that - was better. Then I just found a big blurb on the + disks yesterday and they supposedly work way better in stand alone burners.

I'd experiment and find a good batch and use them for critical data backup. I've got another 100 pack of Taiyo Yudens that have worked flawlessly with my computer burner (never a coaster) that I use for backup.

• Members

Yes, I'm finding out that's it's really a crap shoot finding media that works wit your dvd burner... My burner won't even recognize -r, so I"m thinking of getting a new burner... My burner is also not seeing Maxell 16X but works find with Arita 8X... So, it gets kind of frustrating after a while, which media is going to work with your DVD burner and should you buy another one, and is that one going to work well across the board...

Archived