My first impression on Martin's "reimagined" 2018 D-28

kwakatak

• Members

I've always considered myself a D-35 guy but curiosity got the better of me and I inquired about trying the new "reimagined" for 2018 D-28 at my local music store. I walked away with a generally positive feeling about it. To me, it seemed to feel and perform similarly to the HD-28V but with a rounder neck profile, though "beefier" in feel due to the wider neck width at the nut. The tone was certainly more robust much like the HD-28V.

In a nutshell, here are the changes in specs:

- forward-shifted X bracing: I don't know how much of a difference in actual measurements under the hood, but basically by sliding the main X brace about an inch or so toward the soundhole, this make the unbraced area in the center of the lower bout larger, allowing it to vibrate more freely. IMO this gives the instrument even more bass response.

- 1-3/4" wide fingerboard at the nut: debate all you want about that extra 16th of an inch but the neck feels beefier. They also claim to use the slimmer "performance" neck profile but really it feels bigger - almost too big for my hands - like 1-7/8" wide big. Still, I like it. They also kept the diamond volute - which I always liked.

- butterbean open back tuning machines: this is a personal preference but I've never liked Pings on any of my guitars. I don't know who makes these for Martin but they seemed to function well at first glance. Tuning machines are a relatively cheap upgrade though. OTOH it's uncertain whether or not Martin had the foresight to add washers or collars (forgive me if I'm using the wrong term here) to give owners the option of switching to different sealed tuning machines (which have a wider post and require a larger hole than open back tuners do.)

The other changes escape me at the moment but basically it's nearly identical to the previous incarnation of the D-28 but feels more like a "hot rod" version of it. The changes are very similar to what Martin did with the D-18 back in 2012, making it closer in construction to the "Golden Era" line but with Standard series sitka and rosewood. The HD-28 and D-35 have been similarly "reimagined" but the D-28 made such a strong impression I felt it was better to save that for later. I don't need another guitar - at least not unless I get rid of some guitars that are just taking up space.

That wouldn't be enough of an excuse for my wife though. I asked. Silly me.

• Members

There are thirty-five guitars in the Standard Series Reimagined (2018) as shown on the current Martin website.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...imagined-2018/

There is no D-28 among them though. :idk:

Martin does list two D-28 models on the Standard Series page though.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/

They offer the plain old original D-28, but they also offer the D-28(2017), equipped with some niceties like forward shifted X bracing (not scalloped, interestingly), 1 3/4 nut, and butterbean tuners.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...ies/d-28-2017/

Is this the one you looked at?

• Members

More than I'll ever spend on a guitar but nice review. Thanks for your impressions.

. . . Tuning machines are a relatively cheap upgrade though. OTOH it's uncertain whether or not Martin had the foresight to add washers or collars (forgive me if I'm using the wrong term here) to give owners the option of switching to different sealed tuning machines (which have a wider post and require a larger hole than open back tuners do.) . . .

FWIW, they're typically called "bushings." And your best "twang for the buck" upgrade is new bridge pins. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived