Don't touch those tuning keys!

Grant Harding

• Members

:D

Pearl of wisdom that many here already know:

If you tuned your guitar but after a bit of playing the tuning gets sour DON'T reach for the tuning machines automatically!

Even with a well cut nut and lube the down force is so great with 12's or 13's that binding is almost inevitable. So reach your fretting hand index finger behind the nut and gently give all 6 strings a gentle push down. I do a lot of bending in some songs, so I do this a few times per song for those.

If you've got new strings stretching or problems with the guitar that's one thing, but my best results have been when I assume (correctly) that the tuning problem isn't the tuning machine.

:D

• Members

Yeah - I've used several types of nut lube and they all make a big difference. I've yet to find a perfect solution for my playing style on acoustic though. When I bend the wound G a whole step it usually doesn't come all the way back immediately and I have to give it a bit of a push behind the nut.

Obviously this isn't a very relevant thread for open chord strumming or traditional finger picking, but even on electric if I notice the tuning out I always check that before retuning.

• Members

"...reach your fretting hand index finger behind the nut and gently give all 6 strings a gentle push down."

Also useful while you are tuning. If the string goes sour after you do this, it would have likely gone sour after you played a little anyway. And it proves you have some nut friction problems you need to address.

Archived