Gretsch refinished soundboard

Blackrock

• Members

Not to be one-sided, I refinished the backside last week. Obviously had the same clear thick coating, too. ...Sanded that off, then found some old viscous varnish, the consistancy of molassis, deep brown in color. I wiped that on, then wiped off as much of it as I could - giving it an ultra-thin finish. While it was still "damp" I gave it a generous coating of woodwax, then let the surface mixture dry for about ten minutes, then polished it up. The end result is a very shiney, very thin glossy coat with none of the thickness of the old finish. I'll leave the sides the way they are, because the sound is fine where it is.

• Members

That tells me you didn't sand all that deeply. Some sunbursts are stains that soak into the wood, some are colored finishes that are applied on top of the wood - in either case I got the impression from your earlier posts that you had sanded fairly aggressively. Can't tell a whole lot about the finish itself from the low res picture but it looks pretty good. Thanks for the update

• Members

I hear burst finishes can be viral, nasty things, and it might just have infected that guitar. No matter what you do to eradicate it, it suddenly reappears under any newly applied clear finish like a zombie. I say shoot it properly (model 1911; empty the clip) and kill those nasty bursties.

• Members

This Sunburst soaked into the wood. On the top left side of the soundboard pictured (after clicking on it), you'll notice the black stain is slightly larger than the right side. That happened when I sanded it a bit more - the black shadowed (enlarged) a bit more, the more I sanded it. So I quite doing that :-) The "thick varnish" was applied to the backside... not pictured here. This front shot is of just a bee's wax coating on the just-removed glossy factory coat. Before the sanding job, the sound was a bit tinney. Now the bass and midrange have more "presence". But like I said - I left the sides the way they were. All in all... it vibrates more when playing, more than with the factory coating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The front of the guitar looks better "in person", the shading is a bit off in this picture. And the back looks even more vibrant - with more contrast in the colors. The sound is much improved over the original glossy coating. The new finish allowes the wood to vibrate freely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit

Archived