Five fret jobs

Freeman Keller

• Members

I realized that everything that was in the shop today involved some sort of fret work so I lined everything up on the bench and took a picture

IMG_2210_zps8l9xlhf0.jpg

In the back right is a normal Washburn dreadnaught that needs the first four frets replaced and the others crowned. Pretty normal work except that there are deep divots in the fretboard and the board is bound - still, nothing too unusual

To its left, the round thing, is a very interesting guitar that I'm restoring for a friend. It dates back to World War II and has a wonderful story that I'll tell if and when I finally finish it. In the mean time it is waiting for some frets to be replaced - only problem is that they are bar frets...

Next up to the right is a charming little instrument - it is a Mexican vihuela (ve way la), one of the instruments in mariachi music. It has five tied on gut frets and one came loose - they asked me to refret it. Since I don't have any sheep gut convenient I'll use monofilament fishing line - the tying is different that either a lute or saz but I think I've got it figured out. The owner is trying to decide whether to stay with the traditional gut/nylon or have me put some wire frets in it. Either way, when its done I'll post a picture.

The A style mandolin came in for a setup but the owner complained of buzzing when played high on the neck (how can anyone play a mando at the twelth fret?). Anyway, sure enough, 14 is high so it got leveled and dressed before I could do the rest of the work. The tape on the top marks the location of the bridge which I've been moving around to get the intonation set.

Last, and probably least, the fretboard in front is from a Fender P bass. The fret ends were so sharp they could be weapons - I'm surprised there wasn't blood on the neck. (Even solid bodies need humidity, duh). So normal dressing of the ends because even if the humidity returns to normal the board won't swell back to where it was.

Back to whatever off topic things you all want to talk about....

• Members

Lovely stuff that you have on your bench.

On fret jobs, I've found a nice tool, a file set into a bardwood block so you can file down the ends 90° to the fretboard to remove those blood thirsty ends and a 45° edge so you have a good starting point for the fret end dressing. Doesn't work 100%, but fair enough to level and provide an uniform angle. Takes out a bit of the grind....

• Members
. . . The A style mandolin came in for a setup but the owner complained of buzzing when played high on the neck (how can anyone play a mando at the twelth fret?). . . .

. . . Back to whatever off topic things you all want to talk about....

Heck, I can barely play a mandolin at the first fret, LOL. To me, "high on the neck" on a mandolin means the fifth fret. Anyway, thanks for attempting to get things back on track. This is the kind of thread I've been longing to see recently: interesting and on topic.

• Members

Heck, I can barely play a mandolin at the first fret, LOL. To me, "high on the neck" on a mandolin means the fifth fret. Anyway, thanks for attempting to get things back on track. This is the kind of thread I've been longing to see recently: interesting and on topic.

The guitar, mando and bass are pretty normal - we've seen all of that before. I'll post some pictures of the other two when I get them done. I really do try to post things that are on top and hopefully interesting, even if some people think I'm a clown (or worse). You might be interested in the amp build that I posted at that forum.....

I'd use standard metal frets on everything. Bar frets and gut frets might be traditional but sometimes practical is better.

My philosophy on a restoration (the round one) is to keep it as original as I can. Bar frets are available and besides, the slots are way too wide for standard fretwire. On the vihuela I will follow the wishes of the owner - tying a piece of fishing line on will cost him maybe ten bucks, if I have to completely fret it with wire probably 75 to 100. New the instrument was probably less than 500. He hasn't returned my call telling me what he wants to do.

Archived