Larrivee D-03 . . . is it the best guitar on the planet?

Nate the Great

• Members

I just tried one of these out yesterday . . . and I am totally convinced it is the guitar I want. I will not be buying a new guitar for a little while, but I'm SURE this will be the one. After looking at the reviews around here, it seems I was very late finding Larrivee (give me a break, I live in a VERY rural area).

I'm a little interested in finding some more information on the D-03 Koa and Blackwood models. Larrivee's site doesn't mention them (just the Rosewood model). Can anybody help me out on this?

• Members

I don't think it's a rural problem because I live 20 miles from Detroit. I can't find Blueridge or Larrivee anywhere around here. I would love to play both. Glad to hear another good Larrivee experience. I might have to order one based on reviews.

• Members

Originally posted by Tioga_Man

I hate it when people don't keep their web sites up to date.

Me too. It makes no sense for a company not to update their website. Especially in today's internet driven world.

• Members

Originally posted by edman316

I don't think it's a rural problem because I live 20 miles from Detroit. I can't find Blueridge or Larrivee anywhere around here. I would love to play both. Glad to hear another good Larrivee experience. I might have to order one based on reviews.

I tried the Larrivee in Boulder, CO. It was just a tiny guitar shop. Maybe 40 guitars total. I've been trying quite a range of guitars, and the Larrivee just jumped out. It was clearly above the others. For a guitar in the $800 range, it is almost ridiculous. The only guitar that I've played that came close was a $2800 Breedlove. It didn't have the EXTREMELY rich bass, though.

• Members

I'd go for the Blackwood if you can find one. I have a Blackwood Taylor (314 CE L7) and I absolutely love it - sound, sight and even smell! It definitely has better bottom than Koa or Mahogany, and better highs than Rosewood.

• Members

Try asking this question over at www.larriveeforum.com. You should definitely get a lot of responses. If I'm not mistaken there was even a L-03BW posted on the Buy/Sell/Trade section recently.

AFAIK, Koa and Blackwood are not part of their regular offerings so they don't list them in their catalog or website. Last I heard they were out of koa and didn't know when they would be getting more. I assume the same goes for the type of blackwood that they've used in the past.

• Members

Question: Why do you think a Larrivee dreadnaught, which is a copy of a Martin design, is better than a Martin original?

Just wondering....

(Not being sarcastic: A number of people here have said the Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo bests its inspiration, the Gibson J-45.)

• Members

Although the shapes are the same, they are really very different instruments. Bracing patterns has alot to do with the sound of a guitar, and the Larrivee bracing is unique and different than that of the various Martin bracing patterns. I would say they are both great instruments in their own right (apples & oranges :) )

Originally posted by telenate

Question: Why do you think a Larrivee dreadnaught, which is a copy of a Martin design, is better than a Martin original?

Just wondering....

(Not being sarcastic: A number of people here have said the Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo bests its inspiration, the Gibson J-45.)

• Members

Just wondering....

Good question. I'm not an expert on acoustics. I don't even own a REALLY good one, yet. I've played my uncles mid 70's Martin HD-28 (I think that's what it was), and it was GREAT. But there was just an amazing "richness" to the Larrivee I played. Maybe it was the room acoustics. Maybe my uncle's strings were old. Either way, the Larrivee D-03 is cheaper than a comparable Martin (I think).

By the way, can anybody tell me how a Larrivee L series compares to a D series?

• Members

I think the Larrivee 50s are more a copy of Martin dreads than the D series. The Larrivee Ds are more curvaceous than Martin dreads, so I don't think they copy the design at all.

• Members

The question seems to imply that somehow original equals better. Not sure I understand why that'd make sense. Every existing automobile is fundamentally a variation on Ford's original design, but you wouldn't catch me driving through the mountains in a Model A...

A Larrivee dread, in any case, is only a "copy of a Martin design" inasmuch as all dreadnaughts "copy" Martin's original design. But as another poster pointed out, comparisons by this point on the evolutionary clock are invariably of an apples-to-oranges nature. "Better" is a matter of the terrain the individual player is travelling and how s/he prefers to travel.

• Members
Originally posted by knockwood

The question seems to imply that somehow original equals better. Not sure I understand why that'd make sense.

It's a "why not go to the source?" kind of thing. I've had that sales-pitch thrown at me more than once.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

It's a "why not go to the source?" kind of thing. I've had that sales-pitch thrown at me more than once.

No. I'm really a Gibson/Santa Cruz guy. I direct people to the Mandolin Bros. store when they are in NYC to try out their amazing collection. That's the closest I get to guitar sales and it ain't for any personal gain. I have no financial interest in any of these companies, except I'd be sad if they didn't stay afloat (or thrive) 'cause I like 'em all.

It's just that I live in New Jersey and Martins are made in Pennsylvania, a neighboring state and one of my favorites places. Also, I find square-shouldered dreads kinda uncomfortable (I played one anyway for about 12 years without really thinking about why my arm hurt). When I finally discovered the Gibson J-45 type round-shouldered dreads I knew they were for me. I bought a Gibson WM-45 and I've been most pleased with it.

It's just that Martin is still making excellent guitars. If I were to go that way, the classic square-shouldered acoustic dread way, then for some reason I'd get a Martin. Maybe I'm thinking too much about resale value :confused: . I hope not. I still think Martin quality is superfine and the sound is superb for that kind of thing.

But Larrivees are nothing to sneeze at either, as I've come to learn. So many independent consumers, particularly here, have lauded the company's guitars I'm lusting after one of their Parlor models.

My $.02.

• Members

Say, telenate,

Did'nt mean to suggest you were throwing a sales pitch, but a few salesmen did throw that kind of pich at me.

I'm with you on Martin and Larrivee, I'm glad they both make some good sounding/playing/affordable guitars.

• Members

Just wondering....

A Larrivee D is not a complete copy of a Martin D. Most significantly, the top bracing is very different. Martin uses a asymetrical X bracing, with a whole variety of tweaks (e.g., scalloped/non-scalloped, different brace thicknesses, advanced or non-advanced X). Larrivee uses symetrical parabolic X bracing. There are other differences too between the two builders.

• Members

Originally posted by kazoou

Isn't it funny how often guitars are being compared to Martin? There's a reason for that....Martin has always been top notch.

I'm not disputing the quality of a Martin. Its just that I can get a lot more for my money by buying a Larrivee.

Archived