Cort SFX-1F

OldGuitarPlayer

• Members

Well..I made the mistake yesterday of going into SpaceMan Music which sells used and vintage guitar gear......:facepalm: Hanging on the wall was this Cort SFX-1F acoustic/electric in black finish for $150.

I tried it out acoustically first and it really had a nice tone with lots of sustain. Almost as much sustain as my Martin 000-15. I noticed it had a Fishman Classic 4 pickup system so I plugged it into an amp. Very nice sound through the amp and all six strings came through evenly. The neck is a nice V shape but not overly fat in the "vintage" way. The body is sort of jumbo sized but not as deep so it's quite comfortable to play. Since I don't have a decent electric acoustic I did a little research and found the specs online for this guitar.

BODY STYLE: SFX Shape

CUTAWAY: Venetian

CONSTRUCTION: Dovetail Neck Joint

TOP: Solid Spruce

BACK: Arched Mahogany

SIDES: Mahogany

NECK: Mahogany

TRUSS ROD: Multiple B/W

FINGERBOARD: Rosewood

INLAY: 3mm White Dot

TUNERS: Die cast w/ Black Knobs

BRIDGE: Rosewood

SOUNDHOLE ROSETTE: Multiple B/W

BINDING: Black(White)

SCALE: 643mm (25.3'')

BODY DEPTH: 83 x 83mm

NUT WIDTH: 43mm (1 11/16'') PPS

FINISH: Satin

COLOR: NS, BKS, DRS, DBS

PICKGUARD: N/A

STRING: D'Addario EXP11 80/20 Bronze Light

ELECTRONICS: Fishman Ion+ with Sonicore P/U

I was very impressed with the specs so...I went back to the shop and traded my Wasburn D10S for it, even trade. :D

All I had to do was loosen the truss rod as it was cranked tight causing back bow so there was string buzz down at the 2-3 frets. I cleaned the fretboard and frets with fine steel wool. I lowered the saddle a bit and put new strings on. I swapped the original black plastic bridge pins for slightly larger white ones I had as spares since the original black ones wouldn't stay seated and kept popping up when I'd try tuning up the new strings. After another minor adjustment of the truss rod she's ready to go.

Here is is just after my setup. I'll be trying it out today at my weekly open mic.

Cort%20SFX-1F-A.JPG

• Members

Am I glad to see someone else has good feelings about Cort guitars, I have a Earth AS5 Nat and I put this guitar up against my Martins, gibsons etc. and it holds its own. It seems most people overlook this brand, I admit that there low line models aren't so good but the top models are excellent at a third or less of the big brand prices. If you need a guitar that you can use and not worry about and has great sound get a Cort the price is really right. Ralph

• Members

I tried it out yesterday at the open mic I host every Saturday and the pickup performed nicely for an undersaddle piezo unit. I let one of the good regular performers use it so I got to hear how it sounded through the house sound system. It gives lots of output to the mixer and the 4 band EQ works nicely. I then brought it to an after hours jam and played it acoustically as well and it stood up up pretty well to that. It sounded way better once the strings had lost their new bright sound and started to mellow out a bit.

I'd have to say that it was good deal. I wish it had been up for sale months ago as I have needed a quality electric/acoustic for awhile and when I had the Fender CD-100CE it just wasn't cutting it. The electronics on this Cort are far superior too anything I have tried and there is no way you could buy anything like this new for $150. The Washburn was a nice guitar but I am not one to fiddle about with installing a pickup. The only guitar I have that will never get a pickup installed is my Martin 000-15.

• Members

Why would you not put a pickup on your Martin 000-15? Just curious. Congrats on your Cort.

Although I have considered installing one but I guess I am kinda old fashioned and want to keep that guitar as "original" as possible. I sometimes use a Fishman soundhole pickup in it though. ;)

• Members

OldPlayer,

Congrats on your new $150 guitar! :)

My philosophy is that anytime you can find a quality instrument for under a couple of hundred bucks, you're doing very well. :thu:

I remember how it was 30 years ago when 2 or 3 hundred couldn't buy much of anything decent, and that would amount to probably around a $1000 in today's money. :eek:

• Members

OldPlayer,

Congrats on your new $150 guitar!
:)

My philosophy is that anytime you can find a quality instrument for
under a couple of hundred bucks,
you're doing very well.
:thu:

I remember how it was 30 years ago when 2 or 3 hundred couldn't buy much of anything decent, and that would amount to probably around a $1000 in today's money.
:eek:

Yeah..I was surprised at the $149 price tag..I don't think they did their research well but hey...score one for us! :thu:

• Members

Congratulations. Happy New Guitar Day. Any chance of a clip or two?

You wouldn't paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa would you?

Sorry but a 000-15 is not the Mona Lisa. No need to be afraid of modifying it. If it were an OM41 maybe but it's not.

• Members

Congratulations. Happy New Guitar Day.
Any chance of a clip or two?

Sorry but a 000-15 is not the Mona Lisa. No need to be afraid of modifying it. If it were an OM41 maybe but it's not.

I'll see what I can do. I wish I had remembered to bring my digi-camera to the open mic to capture some video of it in use. I'll try to record some clips soon.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi,

I realise that this thread is old... but i am looking to buy a nice acoustic guitar. I was wondering if you would recommend a Colt SFX1F?

Also what do you think about a 375$ price tag? (considering its new)

Thanks

I think it's a really good guitar and good pickup system. Quite easy to play and quite a nice sound comes from it having a solid spruce top. Unfortunately I had to trade it in so I could buy this.....:evil:

jay%20turser%20lp%20studio-2.jpg

Jay%20Turser%20-%204.jpg

Jay%20Turser%20LP%20Studio%20-%203.jpg

• Members

I think it's a really good guitar and good pickup system. Quite easy to play and quite a nice sound comes from it having a solid spruce top. Unfortunately I had to trade it in so I could buy this.....
:evil:
. . .

Wow! Talk about a revolving door! You didn't even have it 90 days!

• Members

Hi,

I realise that this thread is old... but i am looking to buy a nice acoustic guitar. I was wondering if you would recommend a Colt SFX1F?

Also what do you think about a 375$ price tag? (considering its new)

Thanks

I've played another git in the SFX series (SFX10) and it sounded great :thu:. Has the slightly narrower nut though (1 11/16), so make sure you don't mind this. ALso $375 sounds a bit expensive in the US for this guitar, COrt is a cheap brand, maybe bargain them down to $300?

• Members
I think it's a really good guitar and good pickup system. Quite easy to play and quite a nice sound comes from it having a solid spruce top. Unfortunately I had to trade it in so I could buy this.....:evil:

QUOTE]

The Dark Side of the Force! :eek:

Archived