No announcement yet.

Gibson SG '61 RI PP pots

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson SG '61 RI PP pots

I just acquired one of these guitars and didn't even realize it had push pull pots until I started messing around with it. Best I can determine, their only function is to boost their respective pick up. Is that correct? I don't detect them doing anything else.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

What model year is your SG? Are all of the pots push / pull, or just a couple of them?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

2014 and its both volume pots. I bought it from a small but reportable store.
      Last edited by Tomm Williams; 11-10-2017, 04:50 PM.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

Gibson doesn't reference push/pull pots in their description of that model: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...sue-Satin.aspx,
        http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/divi...g%2061reissue/. Your guitar may have had the pots replaced. My Schecter has a push/pull tone pot that splits the coils and I notice an accompanying volume drop. Just a guess but I'd say that's what was done to your SG.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
          Gibson doesn't reference push/pull pots in their description of that model: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...sue-Satin.aspx,
          http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/divi...g%2061reissue/. Your guitar may have had the pots replaced. My Schecter has a push/pull tone pot that splits the coils and I notice an accompanying volume drop. Just a guess but I'd say that's what was done to your SG.
          I believe you are correct. The more I play with it the more it seems to take on a single coil tone in one position

Comment

• Freeman Keller
            Freeman Keller commented
            Editing a comment
            One quick way to find out, particularly if your pickups don't have covers, is to tap on one of the pole pieces with a small screw driver. If the coil is active you'll hear that tapping noise in your amp - if you've "split" the pickup then you'll get a noise from one coil but not the other.

Most of the time "splitting" is done by grounding one of the coils rather than floating it - you can look at the back of the pot where the switch will be and see how it is wired.

• DeepEnd
            DeepEnd commented
            Editing a comment
            Freeman, if I'd been thinking I would have mentioned tapping the pole pieces. Thanks for elaborating.

• Freeman Keller
            Freeman Keller commented
            Editing a comment
            I do that all the time when I'm wiring something and want to make sure I've got it right but don't want to put strings on it. Lots of times I'll want to check switch positions or see if I have a pot wired correctly - I'll plug it into the little amp that sits under the bench and tap on a pickup pole.

Working...
        X