No announcement yet.

TV Jones advice needed

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Jones advice needed

So I've wanted a set of TV Jones for a while now but I'd like some advice.

I have 2 options for the guitar to use, both currently loaded with humbuckers. One is my Yamaha SG2000, which is more of a LP type beast and the other is my old 1975 Ibanez semi hollow 335 clone.

I also need to choose between Filtertrons and Powertrons. I've read about both and heard both, but really struggling. I'm mostly a clean tones guy, but I also want a fat lead blues sound at the edge of breakup.

What say you gurus? What would you do?

Also is this going to be a complete PIA to retrofit, even with their universal mount and humbucker rings?
    Last edited by Grant Harding; 10-23-2017, 12:27 AM.

Both have 500K pots too, so should I swap them for 250K?

Comment

For me it would be no contest,Filtertrons in the Ibanez, but I've got rock-a-billy roots . I would try the 500k pots first.

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
        For me it would be no contest,Filtertrons in the Ibanez, but I've got rock-a-billy roots . I would try the 500k pots first.
        I concur - I think the Ibanez makes the most sense for the guitar, and the Filtertrons are probably best suited to your style of playing and your preferred tones - it's a bit cleaner than a Powertron, but that doesn't mean you can't get dirty tones with them installed when desired.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Thanks guys. Definitely the way I'm leaning. A good buddy of mine has some Powertrons he's trying to shed, so I'm still tempted.

Comment

Working...
          X