Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Dot vs Epiphone Sheraton II

Ok these are both very beautiful guitars IMO! I really love the Sheraton but it is a descent amount more and I looked at the specs and couldn't figure it out...is it the extra binding and perhaps cosmetics? Is there a big difference in the quality of these instruments? If they are basically the same then I think the Dot looks pretty swell...not as good as a Sheraton but still good. I also plan on putting a hotter bridge pickup in eventually if needed.

no one responded so i'm going to bump. i have went through the search function and read up on various hollow bodies....i just want to know the $200 price difference in these guitars!

Comment

Are the pickups different? I think they might be. I've heard that a lot of people don't even change the sheraton pups because they're already really good. So that could be close to $200 right there. maybe better electronics, better made, better binding/headstock inlay, etc. Overall I think the Sheraton II is probably just a better guitar. Based on reputation alone and only having played a Dot (which was pretty nice, but needed upgrades) I would take a SH II over a Dot without hesitation.

Comment

I own several Epiphone DOTs and I love 'em!!

The Sheratons I've tried do play a little nicer. They have a more luxurious, smooth feel to 'em.
        "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
        - John Lennon
        Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
        Epiphone Empire
        F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
        Marshall Circle of Tone
        SG ARMY

Comment

Buy the Xaviere in the spam thread instead.
          I make hand painted vintage style fuzzes: http://www.lowbroweffects.com

Comment

I believe the Sheraton was one of the original pre-Gibson Epiphone models that competed with the 335 line and the Dot is a post-Gibson "low-end" 335. Not that it makes much difference in the playability, but this may be a factor in their pricing rationale.
            -^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

Comment

Nice one right here. Save yourself $200.

Sheraton = high end Dot

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-SHERATON-II-2-ARCHTOP-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-LOOK_W0QQitemZ130143337491QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33037 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
              "I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

Comment

my Dots stock pickups sound great.
                Punk as f**k since 1976

Endorser and player of "Vintage" guitars:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Marc man, I think you possibly rock TOO MUCH

The Plague on Myspace:
                http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=247093832

Westway on myspace:http://www.myspace.com/westwaytotheclash

My Soundclick page:http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=484650

Comment

THe Sheratons I've picked up just felt better than MOST of the Epi dots.
                  Besides the cosmetics, I think a little more attention to detail is paid to them over all.
                  More stuff than I can use.

Comment

I checked out a lot of DOTs and Sheratons before finally choosing a Sheraton. While the DOTs are decent for the money,there were a lot more workmanship flaws that I noticed on the DOTs. Also,the neck and fingerboard shapes are different between the two. The DOTs are rather chunky for my tastes,while the Sheratons are thinner and flatter. I love the pickups on my Sheraton,which I believe are based on '57 classics. I don't know if they are much different or better than the DOT pups. The Sheraton is a much fancier looking guitar with all the inlays and binding,but whether or not it's worth the extra coin is a matter of preference.Here's a pic of my Sheraton.
                    http://www.zazzle.com/mrmikers

Comment

I like the Sheraton look better, but if they have a thinner neck then that'd be a turn-off (if I were in the market for one).
                      Guitars: Gibby SG Classic, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez Artcore
                      Effects: Boss DS-1 and some chorus that I can't think of...
                      Amps: Fender Blues Junior (yay), Fender Frontman 25R (blech)
                      GAS: Fender Tele, in candy-apple red specifically

Originally Posted by willhaven

When Germany is charging you with war crimes, you know you've done something wrong.

Member of the SG Army

Comment

Sheraton = high end Dot

+1

Comment

Comment

I own several Epiphone DOTs and I love 'em!!

The Sheratons I've tried do play a little nicer. They have a more luxurious, smooth feel to 'em.

+1
                            I owned a Sherry and have only played Dots but I prefer the chunkier neck of the DOt, although all in all, I like the Sherry better.
                            Hope that makes sense.

Comment

The Dot and Sheraton are not the same guitar. I believe that the above post was correct in stating that the Sheraton is an Epiphone "origional" design whereas the Dot is a cheaper 335.

The necks are different and the electronics I believe are different. The wood on the back of a Dot natural almost looks like mahogony or some other dark wood while the neck on the Sheraton is maple.

Lastly the Sheraton is made in Korea....the Dot is made in China. Not a big deal to some but a huge deal to others.

Personally I think the Dot is okay but the Sheraton is inspiring.

my .02 from a newb.

Comment

Working...
                              X